Gibson Brands Forums

Question about LP CUSTOM

piompo

Hi,

I want to ask you about my guitar.

It is Gibson Les Paul Custom, colour: black, silver(!) hardware, ebony fingerboard, there is no dot in signature/name Gibson on head and Kluson machineheads.

The serial number is under the new paint, so I cant read it, but I can recognize that under the number there is signature "Made in USA"

Can you help me to recognize this guitar? When, where it was made, etc.

I feel that it is rather old guitar....

Thank you very much

Peter

http://www.myspace.com/indukti

You can get a tracing of the serial number by taking a thin piece of paper and putting it ove the top of the serial number. Then take a pencil and lightly color over the top of the paper. You should see the serial number start to appear either darker or lighter than the surrounding color.

Why is there 'new paint' on the back of the headstock?? That would be one of my first questions. That it covers the serial number and yet you can read the 'made in usa' stamp is another very unusual thing. Old is a relative term. If it has 'Made in the USA' it is post 1969 and not likely worth a lot. Open the control cavity and read the code numbers off the pots. Post the codes here and we might be able to give you a rough idea of when it was made. Also try to get a rubbing of the serial number, just for the heck of it.

Archived