Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dove

Barz

OK, here's the deal. I'm looking for a new acoustic. I normally play only Epi's but the one I was looking at is the Dove. Problem is, I cant find one in a GC or Sam Ash. So I don't know how they sound or anything. So I figured this would be the best place to ask. Does anyone here own one? Have you played one? Held one? Any contact? Lol, I'm looking for your opinions. So please if you got something to say negative or positive I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

Anyone? I would like to help Barz out, but I have had a Dove in my hands only once and it was years ago. I've slept since then, but some memories are.....

The Dove seemed ever so slightly heavier and the sound was more focused on the trebble strings. I wondered at the time if the maple the neck was made of might have contributed to that, as maple tends to be a pretty dense wood and I have noticed that most maple-necked guitars have very good definition in the trebbles. It could also just have been a function of the maple body--maple bodied guitars tend to be a bit brighter, and I could have misinterpreted that as greater focus on the trebbles. The Dove had no less bass than the Hummingbird, it just seemed that the emphasis in the sound spectrum was shifted to a bit higher pitch.

A couple of other differences were strictly cosmetic, the pickguard and the bridge (I kind of like the bridge on the Dove, find it very "Gibson" like), but for most other intents and purposes the two guitars seemed to be very similar, and "felt" identical, same scale, same style and size body, etc.

I ended up with a case of GAS for a Hummingbird, your milage may vary!

Dugly [-X

I played 2 Doves a few weeks ago when I went to buy my EJ200. I settled on the EJ because I like the jumbo vibe but I did come back to the Doves a few times. What I recall was,

- thin neck profile compared to the EJ200 (easier to play)

- not as loud as the EJ but better top end

- weaker bass than the EJ

- nice finish on both Doves, nice red back with natural front.

- nice solid spruce top (which the EJ200 does not have)

- nicer fretboard inlay on the Dove over the the EJ200 (the fake mop on the EJ looks a little cheesy IMO).

- the pickgaurd graphics are very "bright", wheter or not you like this is a personally opinion

- the bridge is a thick slab of rosewood as compared to a Gibson Dove. This is the case on the EJ also so I guess this is how Epi has coosen to make their bridges stronger.

The shop I was at had lots of Gibsons so it was easy to make real comparisons between the Epi's and the Gibbys. In the end the EJ200 won me over but if the Dove pickgaurd was less "bright" I just might have came home with the Dove. I think the Doves, Hummingbirds and EJ200 are all good value from Epiphone.

I bet the Doves bass could be improved with decent medium gauge strings too. The stock strings on the ones I played were very poor and played out.

good luck

p.s. I got my EJ for $300 and I could of had the Dove for $249 if that helps.

Hi Barz..purchased the Dove couple years ago and simply love it. It is a little heavier than the mahogany back guitars since it is Maple. Yes it is a bit high ended but I will be changing to medium strings in lieu of lites. In the past I've used Martin Marquis lites and then changed to Dadarios, which made the sound even briter. So hopefully this will do the trick. I do like to have a guitar that sounds brighter than others, that is why I purchase the Dove. Shortly after I purchased a slightly used hummingbird. I just could not get a nice sound out of it. This is contrary to what many folks think about the hummer, but I did not get the anticipated results. The music shop took it back. I really like mine for the simple kind of strumming that I do with folk and country. Best advise...try out a few different guitars and see what you like. Even identical models will sound different..good luck

Sounds good. Thanks for the input guys. I play D'addario Medium gauge strings anyway so that may balance the tone a little better. I'm going to put some definite thought in picking up the Dove. I found a Hummingbird at my local GC and it didnt sound any better than my AJ100VS I was kind of disappointed by that. Thats why i'm weery about buying online. With how much of a hit or miss guitars can be, and I ordered a telecaster a few months back from GC.com and It got here broken. First time I ever bought one online. So, maybe I'll just try and find something different in store.

Thats why i'm weery about buying online. With how much of a hit or miss guitars can be' date=' and I ordered a telecaster a few months back from GC.com and It got here broken. First time I ever bought one online. So, maybe I'll just try and find something different in store.[/quote']

I've had good luck buying online from MF, Music123 and WWBW. I've bought several guitars from them and anytime there was a problem, it was no hassle exchanging or returning for credit. And they're very good about paying for return shipping for legitimate issues.

Just my.02¢ but, if you are considering buying online, I have had good luck with Elderly instruments. Bought a Yamaha acoustic, showed up damaged, they paid all shipping and offerd to replace or refund NO questions asked. I have also had EXCEPTIONAL luck with Sweetwater.com. They ship everything for free and their customer service is incredible bar none ! Heck, I bought a $20.00 guitar strap and three days after to arrived, they actually called my house to see if "everything was ok" ! BEAT THAT !

Let us know how you make out.

Just my.02¢ but' date=' if you are considering buying online, I have had good luck with Elderly instruments. Bought a Yamaha acoustic, showed up damaged, they paid all shipping and offerd to replace or refund NO questions asked. I have also had EXCEPTIONAL luck with Sweetwater.com. They ship everything for free and their customer service is incredible bar none ! Heck, I bought a $20.00 guitar strap and three days after to arrived, they actually called my house to see if "everything was ok" ! BEAT THAT !

Let us know how you make out.

yeah I wont EVER again buy from GC.com they gave me such a hassle but did end up refunding and paying for return shipping. But it took 3 days if I'm not mistaken to settle everything with them. I will definitely check into sweetwater. That sounds like some outstanding customer service.

Archived