Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Ultra-II Questions

tramber

I'm wondering if someone who owns an Ultra-II can answer a few questions regarding the U2.

* Can the regular pickups be used if a battery is not installed?

* Is there an on/off switch (or function) – removing the cable, turning the NanoMAG volume all the way down or ?

* How is the battery attached? Does it use a push on connector (like the ones used on transistor radios)?

* How long does the battery last?

Thanks - Doug

I'm wondering if someone who owns an Ultra-II can answer a few questions regarding the U2.

* Can the regular pickups be used if a battery is not installed?

* Is there an on/off switch (or function) – removing the cable' date=' turning the NanoMAG volume all the way down or ?

* How is the battery attached? Does it use a push on connector (like the ones used on transistor radios)?

* How long does the battery last?

Thanks - Doug

[/quote']

The regular pickups work without the battery, the nano mag has to have the battery.

There are a couple of ways to do this. First off if you are not using the stero outputs, you will simply turn the volume up and down for the Nano Mag to add or remove it. If you have a selector switch, you can run the stero out puts to switch and control it that way. The mono output will control the Humbuckers and the Stero output towards the neck will handle the Nano Mag in this situation, and the switch would be used to change between the outputs.

I want to say that the battery just slides into the holder without the clip, but I have not had to change mine yet and have not removed it. I will check latter tonight to be sure.

I would expect the battery to last about a month with most, but if you use the Nano Mag a lot, then you may see a little less life from it.

I've changed the battery in mine, and it does have a clip like a radio.

The regular pickups do work without the battery.

The 2 knobs farthest toward the neck control your regular pickups.

The knob at the bottom toward the bridge controls the Nanomag.

The upper knob toward the bridge is a master tone for the reular pickups.

I use mine with a A-B switch, and 2 cords. Best for speed.

If you get a switch with the A+B option, even better.

Cegpcola & Gord – Thank you for replying to my questions. I was glad to find out that the regular pickups work without a battery. That could have been a show stopper for me. I guess it's time to start saving up my pennies. :D

Doug -

Gord is correct on the battery, I checked it out the other night. Have you seen the wiring in these things yet, they used a printed cuircit board to carry the signal through to the Pots. I had a ground wire come loose on it, and have been trying to find where it goes but have had no luck with it yet. Still very happy with the guitar overall though.

I'm thinkin' that the circuit board is used to mix the signals when using both reg pup's and nano together.

I haven't had any trouble with mine yet. There is another thread where some guys are discussing mods to an Ultra 2.

Could be some good stuff over there.

By the way, the battery is lasting quite a while. Probably had it in for 6-8 hr of playing so far.

... I had a ground wire come loose on it' date=' and have been trying to find where it goes but have had no luck with it yet ...[/quote']

I was looking at the photos you posted in another topic when I ran across this:

DSC03457.jpg

Take a look at the amount of insulation removed from the wire – it's much more than other wires that are soldered to the pots or connectors. Also, notice the kink in the wire. Assuming that all functions on the guitar work properly I would say that the lead was used for testing. The kink looks like that made by an oscilloscope probe or a small alligator clip.

Until you get a schematic for the guitar I'd leave the wire as it. I would wrap some electrical tape around the end so it doesn't short to some other component.

Doug -

I was looking at the photos you posted in another topic when I ran across this:

DSC03457.jpg

Take a look at the amount of insulation removed from the wire – it's much more than other wires that are soldered to the pots or connectors. Also' date=' notice the kink in the wire. Assuming that all functions on the guitar work properly I would say that the lead was used for testing. The kink looks like that made by an oscilloscope probe or a small alligator clip.

Until you get a schematic for the guitar I'd leave the wire as it. I would wrap some electrical tape around the end so it doesn't short to some other component.

Doug -

[/quote']

Good Point! I didn't think of that, but it makes since on a guitar with this much eletronics. Everything works fine with it, and the hum I was hearing was because I accidently used the Cheap Epiphone Cable that came with the Guitar when I set my amp and pedal board up one day. I switched the Cable out and all is well.

• 2 weeks later...
By Battery lasted over 6 months with daily playing.

Nic

Did you do anything special (turn down volume, unplug cables etc.) to conserve the battery?

The "manual" that came with the Ultra II was a little "vague"

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I really like mine, I finally own a guitar that I can't use as an excuse for my crummy playing O:)

Nic

Did you do anything special (turn down volume' date=' unplug cables etc.) to conserve the battery?

The "manual" that came with the Ultra II was a little "vague"

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I really like mine, I finally own a guitar that I can't use as an excuse for my crummy playing O:) [/quote']

Nic,

I always unplug the guitar when not in use. Most guitars with active pickups are only using power from the battery when they are plugged in. I'm not absolutely positive on the Ultra 2, but it makes sense.

I'm with ya on the NO EXCUSES. :-)

Archived