Gibson Brands Forums

Help with identifying this?

Emetry

Hey there all,

I've gotten into guitars pretty hardcore recently (I'm a keyboardist by nature) and loving it. I'd picked up an Epi SG-400Custom from a friend on a trade and enjoyed it a lot. So much that I immediately decided I needed more guitars. Serious case of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

Anyway, at KVG, the shop I frequent in KaZoo, I picked up this Epiphone on a sale. Got it for about $100. Always a good deal for any guitar, I figured.

However, neither I, nor the guy who runs KVG knows exactly what make this guitar is.

It appears to be some sort of LesPaul, but it's missing the second set ot Vol/Tone knobs.

Serial number, which is hard stamped into a metal plate at the base of the neck, indicates:

Year: 1998

Plant: Samick

Headstock says "Epiphone" but tab says "Gibson" and the script on the headstock says "Special Model".

I would provide more pictures, but it's currently being cleaned and set up with new pickup rings and tuning keys at a shop here in teh Chicago area. I can get more pics up when i get it back.

Here's the shot of it that I DO have.

Demeter

Any help would be great, beacuse I'd like to know what I have.

My best guess a LesPaul Junior Special?

Just to be clear, since this really bothers me (and others), there is no such thing as a "Les Paul Junior Special."

A Les Paul Junior has a single pickup, a Les Paul Special has two pickups.

It has nothing to do with the body style - single- or double-cutaway - only the number of pickups.

Just to be clear' date=' since this really bothers me (and others), there is no such thing as a "Les Paul Junior Special."

A Les Paul Junior has a single pickup, a Les Paul Special has two pickups.

It has nothing to do with the body style - single- or double-cutaway - only the number of pickups.[/quote']

Thank you for educating me. I appreciate it. Now I know.

Archived