Gibson Brands Forums

korean sheraton bridge and Graph Tech Saddles information

TWANG

So.. All Parts had a set of epiphone GT saddles.. but they didn't fit the Korean Sheris.

Haven't we heard that before.

So, I called All Parts, and we messed around comparing and thought the Gotoh Graph Techs would fit the Korean

Sheri Bridge.

Got them today.

Now.. the first thing I noticed was the picture in the catalog wasn't quite like the actual saddles.

they didn't have quite as long a tail, the part beneath the saddle where the screw runs through.

and they weren't as tall.

Also, the screws didn't match the holes either.

BUT

I started working with it, using an old korean sheri bridge with no saddles..

and with a bigsby I found that the saddles lack of height didn't matter.

the strings would clear the bridge edges easily, fully forward or fully back.

ah..

that means if the screw hole depth is correct, I should be able to retap the holes.. for the larger korean sheri saddle screws.. and voila! nice smooth saddles, at the right height, fully adjustable for intonation, and giving a pretty cool look.. black in gold, or black in chrome.

Next I'll try the same thing with the stock stop tail and see if the strings will still clear the edge of the bridge.

I believe they will as they had a lot of clearance using the bigsby, though the stop tail might not be able to be lowered al the way down.

Now, I know some people like the tail all the way deep.. the argument being better and more contact with the body should give more sound..

but that low also means a sharp angle over the bridge saddles.. and that leads to string breakage, as well, I think, as a slightly different feel to the strings.

So this may not be a perfect.. all options possible.. situation with these korean sheris.. but it will do a very good job if all fits as I think.

If my measurements all double check, I'm going to buy a tap for the screw holes.. so I can do more of these for anyone with a Korean sheri who wants the graph techs to fit our little oddball.

I know I'm definately going to go that way with mine if it all fits.

the only hassle right now is.. will the screw hole on the saddle be deep enough into the saddle for the saddle screw to line up correctly.

I believe it will.. tested using heavy guage E string.. but it's got to be done perfectly so.. hold on for that.

Hope this informs..

TWANG

Just went over the graph tech saddles and Korean sheri bridge again.

the screw holes do line up.

the stock tailpiece cannot be lowered all the way.. it needs to be up just a tick or two.. not much, but not all the way down.

clearance of the string over the tail side of the bridge edge was fine with the tail raised just a bit.

and that was with the saddle all the way forward, so a bit less would do it.

still. if you really have to have the tail all the way next to the body, these particular saddles will be a tad too high.

with a bigsby, no problem at all.

TWANG

Archived