Gibson Brands Forums

Picks

Macquarrie

Since I am just beginning to learn' date=' the fingers on my left hand hurt so friggin' bad it's not even funny - but I love it

[/quote']

You might try lowering the string tension a half step; instead of tuning your strings to E-A-D-G-B-E, try Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb. You'll be able to play longer and build callouses and finger strength. Once you have that, you can return to standard tuning or not. Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughn used this tuning almost all the time. Slayer and many other thrash metal bands use Eb tuning. Both The Killers and Alice in Chains both use E flat tuning on certain songs as well.

I dig Dunlop Tortex .88mm's - the green ones - with 11 gauge strings on my electrics. For me these picks (plectra?) are rigid enough for sharp attack on lead work but flexible enough for strumming chords softly when needed, and they never break or split. For acoustic I use Dunlop Ultex .73mm picks. I like their bright attack on the strings and they last forever, but they're transparent in color so if you drop one on a dark stage kiss it goodbye. Good thing picks are cheap.

I don't use picks. Haven't for almost 20 years. I prefer the control with my fingers, but there's always a trade-off. The abrasiveness of the string windings wears fingernails down in nothing flat, so unless you're a glutton for punishment, you have to adapt your rythmn style. I'm told that my rythmn playing is very percussive because the chords are plucked or struck rather than strummed. Definitely takes some getting used to but it works for me....

Yeah' date=' what you said. And also what everybody else said about how very important the right pick is.

All that considered, can you imagine how much better Knopfler would be if he used a pick:-k [/quote']

I have to disagree with the "pick vs fingerpicking" issue. Listen to some banjo pickers. Granted they use thumb and fingerpicks, but the point is that with some intense practice, the fingerpicking technique has merit. Watch and listen to Derek Trucks on youtube and I think you'll agree.

I wish that I had perfected fingerpicking when I was starting out, as well as plectrum playing. I'm trying to build my chops now on acoustic fingerpicking.

Take a look at Tommy Emmanuel, who plays both ways. You have to look to see which style he is playing. I can't imagine him being any better with a flatpick. It's just his style.

While you are at it, take a look at Derk Trucks playing "Rocking Horse" and notice Warren Haynes smiling and taking it all in! It's apparent that Derek has gleaned some chops from being around Warren.

I don't use picks. Haven't for almost 20 years. I prefer the control with my fingers' date=' but there's always a trade-off. The abrasiveness of the string windings wears fingernails down in nothing flat, so unless you're a glutton for punishment, you have to adapt your rythmn style. I'm told that my rythmn playing is very percussive because the chords are plucked or struck rather than strummed. Definitely takes some getting used to but it works for me.... [/quote']

almost +1 -- I do use a pick, though only 10-20% of the time. When I do, I use a Snarling Dogs Brain Pick in .53mm, which is really, really thin. It feels more like a fingernail coming off the string than any other pick I've tried and the little thingees on the sides keep your grip as good as velco'd to your finger. I also choke way up on the pick, using only the tiniest possible part of the pick to stop that annoying tick-tick noise mentioned earlier.

I remember a Joe Pass interview where he was asked about picks. He basically said he just broke them in half because they were too big to give him the kind of control he wanted.

Archived