Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for info on Masterbilt neck shapes

Biltmaster

Hi guys and girls, newbie here.

Just wondering if anyone has a definitive answer to a few questions.

What was the original neck shape of the Masterbilt EF500RCCE, a 50's V shape, or standard C?

Has the neck shape changed, if so when?

I recently bought one of these (second-hand on ebay) based on the fact it has a V shape neck - it doesnt.

The owner wasnt that sure what he had so I researched a lot and all of the sources i asked informed me(including the Gibson hotline), the EF500RCCE always came with a V shaped neck and has not changed. This is obviously not true (i have the evidence in my hand).

Even Guitar centre is advertising this model as having a 50's V shaped neck.

So, something is strange. I sent an email to Gibson, they're not really interested (even though it was them i spoke to PRIOR to buying and they told me it had a v shaped neck).

Any help would be great.

Cheers, Shawn

The EFF500RCCE I have is:

Solid Cedar top

Solid Rosewood back/sides

Cutaway

1.75 nut width

C shaped neck

LR Bags pick-up

Came with an Epiphone Masterilt foam hardcase with Hygrometer.

When I played one in a shop' date=' it definitely had a c-shaped neck, and a fairly thin-line one at that. I think some of the other EF Masterbilts have Vs, and my AJ500RC definitely does--one of the reasons I bought it.[/quote']

I only saw an EF500RCCE once at a shop, and my impression was it had a C or other kind of rounded neck shape. At least, it left no impression of having a neck too much different from the other Masterbilts I had at the time (AJ500R, AJ500M, and DR500). Since then, I've bought an AJ500RC, which has a chunky and clearly defined V shaped neck. It's the FIRST thing you notice when you take hold of it. I'm not 100% positive, but I THINK I would have remembered the EF500RCCE's neck being so different from the other Masterbilts had it a neck anything like the AJ500RC.

Hope that helps. Let us know what you find out...

Red 333

My EF500RCE (spruce top) has a V-neck. From some lit I saved when I bought it, it says all EF500s have a "modern V" neck.

Since yours does not have it, that makes me wonder 1) if your gits neck got replaced or 2) when Epi changes factories if they have found some of the specs get lost in the move and the new factory surprises them with outta spec guitars. (I've seen this in other industry). Otherwise I'd expect Epi to be advertising the changes. But who knows, I haven't seen much advertising of the MB line lately.

thanks for your responses. got an e-mail from epiphone (via gibson) confirming that the EF500RCCE does in fact have a C shaped neck! Seems like a few people are confused over there about their own products. I just got back from the biggest epipohne dealer near me and all of the other EF models (except mine - he cant get them in) he has in stock have...you guessed it... V shaped necks. so either epiphone has pulled a fast one? or they havent caught up with their own changes made to the EF500RCCE nearly 2 years ago. either way, they are taking no responsibility for it. such a shame cause i dont think there is another cutaway/1.75/v neck out there at the moment...at least not for the price..or....is there?

Archived