Gibson Brands Forums

Finally got 13s on my AJ500M

sangemon1281734057

Whoa!!

What difference. More sustain, more clarity, more complex overtones, more volume, all good things.

Just changing from 12s to 13s has improved the sound of this guitar dramatically. A little truss rod adjustment and the action is a perfect E-7/64, e-6/64.

When I had 12s on it the low E was kind of dead, particularly going up the neck. Not anymore.

The Marties are staying in their cases today. I want to play everything I know on this guitar now.

Are you still neglecting your Martins?

I know this is an Epiphone forum, but what can you tell me about your 00-18? I've always had a fascination for this model, because I'm a big fan of Steve Howe's playing.

Oh it's a beauty. It light as a feather, but has a big beautiful voice. I love the short scale and the slothead. It's better for finger picking than strumming.

Amber burst, quilted mahogany back and sides, tortis binding. The only thing that doesn't thrill me about it is the V neck.

DSCN0965.jpg

DSCN0972.jpg?t=1233373152

DSCN0974.jpg

Oh it's a beauty. It light as a feather' date=' but has a big beautiful voice. I love the short scale and the slothead. It's better for finger picking than strumming.

[/quote']

You can say that again. Thanks for posting the pics, that's a beautiful guitar. I always thought sunburst Martins were a bit wrong somehow, but not that one! I had never played a small-bodied guitar until I got my EL-00, and I must say, I also like the feel of a shorter scale. I'm definitely going to try an 00-18 someday, no disrespect to the Epiphone, though... It does what it was meant to do quite well.

Archived