Gibson Brands Forums

DoubleNeck

Eighthnote

I just acquired a doubleneck and I need some help. I'm wanting to know if the guitar has been altered and how it stacks up against other doublenecks I've seen. The serial number is U 7020237. It's white with set necks and sounds ok if you are good with amp and mixing controls. I'd like to know has much as anyone can tell me. Materials used, pick-ups, date etc. There are so many DEAD links I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Oh, I almost forgot. It has "Gibson" truss rod covers. All the Epiphone doublenecks I've seen had "SG" on the covers. Is this a difference I need to know about? Thanx in advance.

I used to own the cheaper bolt on version from about that time period, and it too had the "Gibson" truss rod covers. They didn't change to the current covers until the early 2000's, I believe. The white ones are harder to come by, as everyone was ordering the cherry ones because of the recognition with Jimmy Page. You have a sweet guitar there, enjoy it!

Appreciate the comment. I've been high (not for a long time) and low looking for information on this guitar. So far all I have is the DOM. It plays ok but you really have to pay attention to your amp settings to get a good sound out of it. What I like about it is that it lends itself to a lot of creativity. I can go places with it musically that I can't get to on my other guitars. I've got another Epiphone I'd like to show here to see if anyone can identify it also. I bought it at a garage sale. The guitar was in awful shape. Lots of rust on the metal parts and looked like someone tried to paint it with a roller. I ended up completely re doing the guitar. New EMG active PUPS and over 30 coats of clear and enamel. New tuners,bridge,pick guard, the works. It came out pretty nice but I haven't a clue what it is. (or was) How do I put a pic here? Thanx again for the comments.

I just got a response from Gibson. "This serial number is listed as a 1997 G-1275 custom, alpine white with chrome hardware. The truss rod engraving is simply a specification change from that time frame to current. This guitar has a mahogany body and neck. 57 humbuckers in the neck and Hot humbuckers in the bridge (both necks). Hope this helps, thank you for the inquiry."

However it seems as mine have both of the Hot humbuckers on the 6 string and both 57's on the 12. Or the other way

around? I don't quite know which are which. :-k

The one I own is a 1998 Cherry version. Mine has the "Gibson" TRC's x 2 also. Set necks.

I replaced all the electronics(Pots,switchesx2,wiring,jack),and replaced the 12 string P/U's with 490r and 490t. The 6 string has Burstbucker pro's. I also had a phase switch installed to split the coils. The 6 string has a bigsby. It's a very unique, and HEAVY guitar.

I can get MANY different sounds out of mine, and they ALL sound sweet.

Archived