Gibson Brands Forums

Question of function/aesthetics

rudi

This is technically a Gibson post, but I own and love an Epi Elitist LP and feel comfortable on this forum, so please excuse me for skirting protocol. I bought a Gibson Hummingbird a few months ago, after playing every one I could lay hands on between Santa Barbara and Hollywood (about 10-12). It remains the nicest guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. And when I was at the big Guitar Center on Sunset, I had a very rare opportunity to play four Hummingbirds of the exact same model - and there was significant difference in tone. That's one thing the smaller shops just can't do: have four of the same premium guitar. Anyway, you get the picture. I love this guitar. Now, it came stock with chrome Grover tuners. I had an old but pristine set of the same model Grovers in gold, so I swapped them. With the honey/gold/red colors of the guitar's top, it looks fabulous. Here's my dilemma - I also have a spare set of gold Waverly tuners. These are the vintage style with exposed gearing and they look like little pieces of jewelry. They should, for the $150 I paid for them. Should I put these on my 'Bird? What if the Waverlys screw holes were different, but would cover and conceal the old holes. I'm hesitant to drill holes in this guitar, but I can't see wasting a high-end set of machines like these Waverlys. Any thoughts?

This is technically a Gibson post' date=' but I own and love an Epi Elitist LP and feel comfortable on this forum, so please excuse me for skirting protocol. I bought a Gibson Hummingbird a few months ago, after playing every one I could lay hands on between Santa Barbara and Hollywood (about 10-12). It remains the nicest guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. And when I was at the big Guitar Center on Sunset, I had a very rare opportunity to play four Hummingbirds of the exact same model - and there was significant difference in tone. That's one thing the smaller shops just can't do: have four of the same premium guitar. Anyway, you get the picture. I love this guitar. Now, it came stock with chrome Grover tuners. I had an old but pristine set of the same model Grovers in gold, so I swapped them. With the honey/gold/red colors of the guitar's top, it looks fabulous. Here's my dilemma - I also have a spare set of gold Waverly tuners. These are the vintage style with exposed gearing and they look like little pieces of jewelry. They should, for the $150 I paid for them. Should I put these on my 'Bird? What if the Waverlys screw holes were different, but would cover and conceal the old holes. I'm hesitant to drill holes in this guitar, but I can't see wasting a high-end set of machines like these Waverlys. Any thoughts?[/quote']

The Stewart MacDonald site shows the screw spacing for most of the tuners they sell (and they sell Grovers and Waverlys), so you can probaly get the info you need there.

Alternatively, you could take one of the Grovers off, and temporarily put one of the Waverly's you have, to see of the scew holes line up or not, or whether the body of the Waverlys conceal the old hole.

Red 333

Aesthetics is a personal choice. If it's your 'bird and you intend her to be a player, do what you want. There will undoubtedly be a scar and screw mis-match. Just make sure the spindles line up with the holes. I wouldn't do anything that resembles milling to the wood itself.

You asked for opinions. Here's mine.

The way it sounds, your main motivation for using the Waverly's would be just to not let them go to waste. I can understand that you don't want 150 clams sitting in a drawer somewhere gathering dust, but that's still not necessarily a reason to alter a great guitar like a Hummingbird.

On the other hand, the Hummingbird is a modern sort of acoustic, and I personally don't think vintage style tuners would add to that vibe. Waverley's are great for old Martins, but when I think of the Hummingbird, I always think about the 60's and Keith Richards playing one back then.

If I were you I'd keep the Waverley's for a Martin or an Advanced Jumbo. You never know when you might find one that you just can't resist...

Archived