Gibson Brands Forums

Tonerider pickup change help needed

crispo77

Hi, Ive just got some Toneridr generator pickups for my sheraton and want to swap them using the cheat method. I've never done this before but am just getting on with it (advice from the bass player in our band). Ive cut the original pickup wire and its a single wire whereas the toneridr has 5 wires?? Do I just connect the red wire and tape the rest up?? Advice needed please #-o

The cheat method? Never heard of it...and it's probably not a great idea.

The basic concept for wiring a 4-lead pickup is generally the same for all 4-lead HBs, but the wire color varies...and there are several ways to wire it depending on what you want out of your pickup.

If it didnt come with a wiring diagram, I would go to the manufacturer's website and look for one. And unless you are familiar with "start" and "finish" leads, dont use color-coded wiring diagrams from other manufacturers.

EDIT: Here is your wiring diagram<---linky

I did the "super" cheat method on my Dot. I just cut the old ones out and used crimps to attach the new pickups in. Everyone says it's a bad idea and won't last, but mine has been working fine ever since I did it and everything works fine. I guess the hardest part would be to find out what wire goes where, but not having them soldered makes that easier.

Even if you are only splicing wires together (as opposed to soldering them directly to the pot) there is really no reason not to use a soldering iron...really. It's super easy. Just twist the wires together, dip them in flux, gently and quickly apply the solder, then tape them up. You can even practice on some extra length of wire to get the hang of it.

Crispo, I posted a link to the wiring diagram you need in my last post. This is the only way you are going to find out where all the wires go, and I highly doubt that anyone else will come in here just to repeat my info.

Here is a recap of the diagram:

Black & white - solder together and tape off

Green & ground (bare) - ground to back of pot

Red - hot

Also, the single wire on your old pickup actually serves as two. The center hot, and the sheilding to ground.

Yes, you can solder the wires together in the manner you mentioned. I'm not advocating it, but it will work.

This is what you would do in that instance:

Black & white - solder together and tape off

Green & bare - connect to the shielding on the old wire

Red - connect to center wire on the old wire.

hot = The positive (+) lead that carries the current from the pickup to ultimately the output.

Its the same idea as the red (positive) cable on a car battery. This is usually reffered to as "hot".

No, the old wire should be stranded wire coated in plastic, then surrounded by more stranded wire (called shielding) which is surrounded by another plastic coating. Basically its a coated wire inside of a coated wire. The outside wire (shielding) is your ground wire. The green and bare connect to that.

You have to strip the outer plastic and expose the shielding. Then pull back the shielding and twist it up gently (connect this to green/bare). Then you have to strip the inside (hot) wire which will connect to your red lead wire from the pickup.

Archived