Gibson Brands Forums

G400 pickups vs faded g400

Evets1281734138

Is there a difference in the pickups between the g400 & the g400 faded series. On the specs on the epiphone page it says 2 alnico humbuckers for the g400. And for the faded it says 2 classic alnico humbuckers other sites have the faded pickups listed as 57m humbucker, Hot-B humbucker are the pickups in the faded series hotter.

I have a '66 copy of a gibson SG, Epiphone SG. It sounded hotter than the other five SG types I compared it to. The stock chrome covered humbuckers sound great and I probably won't replace them.

On a similar note I just got an '08 ESP LTD Viper - 50 SG style guitar and it is really a neat guitar with stock open coil ESP 150 pickups and they are quite hot. This is a basswood body guitar instead of the Epi mahogany but it sounds great and has phenomenol sustain even though it is a bolt on neck ESP LTD Viper. It is black cherry glossy finish and I can't put it down. It will probably get new hot pickups in the future. Maybe SD's '59 neck and JB bridge, or possibly some guitarfetish.com Power Rails, which have extra large black blades in the pickups. They would look cool and probably be very high gain and sound good. I will have the pots replaced at the same time but probably keep the stock switch. This guitar has no buzz and plays great, looks really cool, and feels really nice.

Some of the G-400's I played could definitely use hotter pups for my preference and I have had great luck with the Seymour Duncan hot HBs and would like to try a guitarfetish.com full sized hot set of pups, while also saving about two thirds the cost of the SD's.

Did you get a G-400 yet?

Duffy

Peace

Archived