Gibson Brands Forums

Hotch(g) - what was this pickup patterned after?

GoldenHound104

Just picked up an Epiphone Les Paul Cherry Sunburst, flame-maple top, grover tunes, and standard epiphone pickups.

Can someone, in considerable detail, tell me what the difference is between the Epiphone Hotch(g) and the Gibson 498T? These are both bridge pickups in the the respective guitars, and I'd love to know what the specs are on the pickups.

Number of winds, types of magnets, voltage, resistance, why one is preferred over the other? I believe the Gibson has more bite - correct? I've also been aware for some years that the weaker pickup usually contributes more tone, i.e., Rickenbacker, etc.

The newer Chinese Epiphone Les Pauls are being made with Gibson spec'd 490R & 498T pickups. How do these compare with Gibson pups?

Thanks in advance!

Gibson 490R 7.7KO

Gibson 498T 13.4KO

Epiphone 57CH 7.8 KO

Epiphone HOTCH 14KO

All have Alnico V's. Opinions on performance vary a bit. IMO The 57CH is somewhat adequate. The Hotch anemic and thin. Neither compares to their Gibson equivalent. AFAIK that would be a Classic 57 and Classic Plus.

I'm surprised the ohmage is so close, the magnets are the same, but I guess there is quite a bit of difference in the tone?

----------------

Gibson 490R 7.7KO

Gibson 498T 13.4KO

Epiphone 57CH 7.8 KO

Epiphone HOTCH 14KO

All have Alnico V's. Opinions on performance vary a bit. IMO The 57CH is somewhat adequate. The Hotch anemic and thin. Neither compares to their Gibson equivalent. AFAIK that would be a Classic 57 and Classic Plus.

Archived