Gibson Brands Forums

pup selections

wardog

i have often, of the past 2 months, wondered what types of sounds you get when you combo pups together. And with the right combo's to get the most in style versatility.

p-90's aswesome alone or combo in pairs and with the p-93 riviera in threes. tube amps a most to bring out full tonal potential. or can that be said about all pups!

hsh, ssh, hh, hhh, sss, s, h, sh; all very nice tonal possiblities. combo right, are very versatile across music genre's

emg- ok, still new to them and i welcome all opinions. my understanding of active pickups are quite limmited as i do not own a git with them or do i try them at local gc. my git instuctor has them in his fender and 1 in his squir strat and it does sound great just not there yet.

filtertron, no que!!!!!8-[

Here is what i am looking for.

What combos has everyone tried and which ones are your fav. What combos do you thing go best per music playing style. ie blues, rocabiliy, metal, grunge and so on.

I ask, because one can put 3 typle of single coils together to cover a range of playing styles and genres.

I am most curious about a p-90 and a humbkr. I saw a reverend git with a p-90 in neck and humbkr in bridge. ;)

So, what's your take on the topic.

Personally I'm the opinion anything goes for every type of music. In general I'll try to match the output of the pickups. Not too fond of Hi-output pickups. Personal fav: Medium-output PAF-type humbucker in bridge, and Strat SC in neck. It gives me the best trade-off regarding versiality in tones while retaining a minimalist approach.

Archived