Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt Finish Issue

So I went to pick up my special ordered Masterbilt AJ500RE today, an hour and a half drive away, and the finish on the back and sides was super super DARK!! It looked like black spray paint, and you could barely make out a little of the rosewood grain on the sides, and none of the grain on the back. I've heard that sometimes they put on darker finishes to cover blemishes, poorly grained wood, etc. Needless to say, I was not happy with this guitar. They had another Masterbilt with rosewood back and sides and the same satin finish, and it looked awesome, but not the model I wanted. The difference was drastic. The guys at the store agreed, and called their rep at Epiphone to try to resolve the issue. The rep agreed to send another one, and personally check the finish before it shipped. He also agreed to let the store return the one they sent for me. Great customer service all around, although very inconvenient for all involved. Has anyone seen issues like this with the rosewood looking way too dark? It was crazy... I hate to wait, but I hate to settle even more.

Too many companies are taking the wrong tack in this tough economy. "Once we get the customer's money, he becomes the enemy. DO NOT OFFER HIM ANYTHING HE DON'T PAY EXTRA FOR."

Congrats Epiphone for eschewing this ill conceived notion.

I think you made the right choice, too, Big Country. The Masterbilt line is at the price point where the customer has a specific vision in mind, and if the guitar that is offered does not match that vision, the dealer should be willing to attempt to mediate the issue or be ready to lose the sale.

Good for you!

Dugly [-X

Wow, that does sound odd and I think you made the right call in being patient! I've got three Masterbilts and they are all top notch and lovely to look at and play. I've got a DR500ra, an AJ 500r and the Ukulele.

Picture154.jpg?t=1235086849

Picture156.jpg?t=1235086880

Picture157.jpg?t=1235086900

Picture158.jpg?t=1235086922

Picture136.jpg?t=1235086946

Picture010.jpg?t=1235087082

Archived