Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul (Slash Gold Top)

LeoZeppelin

Hello guys,

I am new to the forums. My name is Leo. I play Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Blues, Progressive Rock and some metal. I bought a new guitar and would greatly appreciate your comments/reviews/suggestions.

I was looking for a nice fat tone with a nice crunch too when needed. I was not willing to shed any buck over a grand for now as I would rather invest that into an amp for now. Tried many guitars including Ibanez, which are really nice guitars but fail to deliver that nice fat tone I needed. Tried Gibson SG too, which I would love to buy eventually.

Finally narrowed it down to one of the Gibson Les Paul studio (490R and 498T Alnico 2 magnet humbucker pickups) and Epiphone Les Paul Gold top (Slash Signature Model) with Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups. Both were great, though to my surprise, Seymour Duncan gave really better tone as well as crunch and output in comparison. Sustain was almost similar...so apparently despite different pickups, Slash's model has good wood density...though it is Epiphone. I compared with with P90 pickups sound on Gibson and results were quite the same. So, I put my money on table and brought this baby home.

Now a few things that I have concerns and questions about are like:

- Does everyone who owns it or other Epiphones/Gibsons have problem of them going out of tune real fast....just within a single pull? I know new strings tend to do that for a few days but is it a generic problem with these models, if anyone knows?

- I searched up online for price, to make sure I did not overpay. I paid USD 800 + tax, for guitar+a very nice slash case+slash strap+A poster+Slash pics and other such mojo stuff of slash. Retail price was 1000 bucks but I just talk nice :-). Though, I hope I did not overpay for this Slash's signature model. Did anyone get it even cheaper? Any comments?

I would truly appreciate any other comments and suggestions that you might have.

Thanks in advance.

- Leo

Welcome to the forum, Leo. I wouldn't think that you overpaid for the Slash model. It's a collector's item and, I think, a limited production run.

As to tuning, the wrap you make around the tuning machines can make a difference. When I install strings, I start with a run through the post hole, followed by a wrap around the top of the post, and then continue to wind the wire down the post. Ending up low increases the angle through the nut and prevents buzz. Once I get tuned up, I stretch each string with a couple of pulls, tune up again and repeat until stretching doesn't affect the tune. Do this gently...don't ruin the strings by stretching violently. An overnight rest after stringing allows the strings to equalize and you might find you have to tune again in the morning. After that, they should stay closely tuned.

Guitarists are constantly touching up their tune on stage using silent tuners. It's an affliction (grin). We have a need to know that we haven't drifted. If your guitar is going out of tune excessively, you might tighten the screws on the keys and check the tightness of the nut on the post. Otherwise, it's just good stringing that governs the rest of staying in tune. All strings will stretch to some degree.

Welcome to the forum Leo...and don't let cookieman15061 get to you...he's just so lucky he could crap in a swinging jug at 50 yards....he won both a Gibson and an Epiphone Slash goldtop and likes to rub it in...lucky SOB!!!! LOL

I just feel honored to know someone who won one of these silly contest that I have signed up for every one of and never won even a lowly guitar pick!

Your tuning problem is probly something simple like a sticky nut or bridge saddle...rub a little graphite next string change and see if that helps.

Capt

Guest icantbuyafender

I believe the tuners are the kluson style... right?

those are personally my favorite, with the green keys, they are classic and cool looking. overall Les Paul vibe about them makes me grin.

they arent the best gear ratio, but i think if you follow Dave's idea you'll see that a few tight wraps on the post make a big difference. I personally do not like the string to be anywhere but the bottom of the post, like dave says, it prevents some buzzing.

its the subtle changes yielding big differences that make me love working on guitars.

Archived