Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone DOT vs. Epiphone ES-175???

andresmess

Hey guys...can't decide between the Epi Dot or the Epi ES-175.

Any key differences? Pro's/cons? Which one would you go for and why ?

I have tried them out but I'm looking for more feedback.

Thanks a lot !!

Andresmess........ Just my opinion, others will have more to say. At least you're looking at two very fine instruments. I hate to steer anybody away from a guitar but, to me, its kinda simple. What style of music do you play? The Electric Spanish, ES-175 is an excellent jazz style guitar that can also be used for only a few other syles of music - i.e., manipulating your tone knobs can get you into the Brian Setzer (sp?) Stray Cats sound, but only kinda. I had a '68 Gibson ES-175 in my collection for years. I finally sold it because I simply never played it being that I did Top 40 cover songs during the '70's and '80's. A fine instrument but not very versatile. IMO

The DOT, is another animal that is very versatile indeed. You can get very "close" to the ES-175 sound and also a plethora of other sounds. I say go for the DOT. Much more versatile. Again, this is based on the style you play. Don't limit yourself with your choice.......................J

ES175--jazz, for sure. "Smooth" or "swing" blues (T-Bone, Roomful, Duke R., w/a big band, etc.). Maybe some rockabilly (Setzer?) or some old-timey country.

I think the Dot would be more verastile. Agree that it could probably cover the above but rock and crunch better. More contemporary styles of blues, jazz and country. But if you're looking for more "twang" try the Wildcat.

I went for the Sheraton over the Dot and am so glad I did. After having played Fenders for years, the Dot neck was just too much to deal with. The Sheri's neck while not as thin as a Tele feels just right... you can grab hold of it but its not too chunky like a Dot. My natural Sheri is just gorgeous and the neck and fretboard easily surpass any of the Dot's I played in the stores. Just one man's opinion though and you might like the Dot better. All you can do is try a few of each.

Archived