Gibson Brands Forums

Potentiometer question, and coil-tapping...

Guest icantbuyafender1281734135

Guest icantbuyafender

Is the fender TBX control a good upgrade?

i have a guitar that could use a treble/bass frequency cutter.

at 5 its normal, then >5 cuts bass, and <5 cuts treble i believe.

anybody recommend it?

and as for coil tapping, is it better to use the inner coil or adjustable coil?

like, is there any tone difference, aside from adjustable pole pieces?

im doing a coil tap and tone pot mod and i figured you guys would have a good handful of suggestions.

thanks

~gabe

Guest icantbuyafender

at 5 its normal' date=' then >5 cuts bass, and <5 cuts treble i believe.

~gabe[/quote']

oops i meant less than 5 cuts treble (bass boost) and over 5 cuts bass (treble boost)

and as for coil tapping' date=' is it better to use the inner coil or adjustable coil?[/quote']

Say what? Your terminology is foreign to me.

I will say this: Both coils of a standard humbucker are wound the same otherwise the over/under wound coil would not effectively cancel the hum (the 2nd coil's only purpose). So it should not matter which coil you choose to isolate in the single coil circuit.

A forum search for "split coil" and "coil tap" should yield several good links and tips that some of us posted last year.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Guest icantbuyafender

like do the top coils and bottom's coils of a bridge HB pup put out the same tone and output or do they sound I dentical due to their windings being the same?

is it smarter to isolate the bottom coil since it has adjustable pole pieces?

any input on the TBX tone pot would be great! I'm still itchin to hear any reviews from ya'll

like do the top coils and bottom's coils of a bridge HB pup put out the same tone and output or do they sound I dentical due to their windings being the same?

is it smarter to isolate the bottom coil since it has adjustable pole pieces?

any input on the TBX tone pot would be great! I'm still itchin to hear any reviews from ya'll

TBX tone pot input:

Less then 5 cuts the highs like a normal tone pot and from 5 to 10 you'll increase highs.

At 10 you'll have more highs then normal, like a Stratocaster bridge pickup with no tone pot.

Peter

Archived