Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dove

darkhorsegirl

Hi, I recently stopped into Gruhn's Guitar shop and "fell in love" with a Gibson Dove guitar, but unfortunately the price is wayyy too much for me at the moment, so I was thinking about getting an Epiphone version. How does it compare with the Gibson sound-wise? Is the action relatively low? How similar is it to the Gibson? #-o

Thanks in advance! =)

Hi' date=' I recently stopped into Gruhn's Guitar shop and "fell in love" with a Gibson Dove guitar, but unfortunately the price is wayyy too much for me at the moment, so I was thinking about getting an Epiphone version. How does it compare with the Gibson sound-wise? Is the action relatively low? How similar is it to the Gibson? :-k

Thanks in advance! =)[/quote']

It'll look like a Gibson Dove....it'll never sound like a Gibson Dove, but it will look like one.

Many say there's nothing that sounds like a Gibson, except a Gibson. They are good, but I wonder many of the same things you mentioned. As for the action, you'll want to get it professionally set up once it arrives, figure at least $40 for that but it'll be some of the best $$ you've ever spent.

Dugly :D

My biggest advice is to play before you buy. Acoustic guitar tone varies so much from one guitar to the next that I would not take a chance on ordering online.

You will not find an Epiphone that sounds like a Gibson. Now, that doesn't mean that you can't find an Epi that sounds good; it just will not sound like a Gibson.

The last time I went shopping for a new acoustic I fully intended to get a Gibson. I played many Gibsons, Martins, Taylors, and Epi Masterbilts. You know what I came home with ? A Breedlove. I had never played a Breedlove in my life but that day, to my ears, it sounded better than everything I played.

A longer post than I intended but my point is , get out there and play alot of guitars and decided what sounds best to you.

Say what you want about Gibson. Every guitar regardless of make will have its own characteristics. We play in a local jam group, and one chap has a Gibson Dove, and I have an Epi Dove. My Epi sounds much better and is nicer to play than his Gibson. This may be one in a million, but its true. Its so true that he plays my Epi for at least 1/2 the time.

Archived