Gibson Brands Forums

Learnin' to Play

Applesauced

Well I asked pretty much exactly what you suggested. Luckily, even though they have to ship the guitar it is returnable within 30 days of when I would receive it to any guitar center. Also I got the serial number and I found out that it was made at the Qingdao Plant in China and is a 2008 model. From what I've read so far it seems that most of you epi-vets (like that?) out there say that the Chinese Epis are inferior to the guitars made in the other Asian countries. Should this be a point of concern for me?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, 2008 and already back as a "used?" Hmmm...either it wasn't someone's "Cup of Tea," or...maybe there

Were "quality" issues? Hard to say! Are you near a music store, that carries Epi Sheratons? You could go

check out a new one, see if you like the overall build/fit/finish, etc. That way, you'd have something to compare

the "used" one, to. And, if you were less than impressed, you could just pass, and save you and them a hassle,

later. Just a thought.

CB

Applesauced

First off welcome to the forums and get ready for some thing is extremely rewarding.

As for your guitar picks, I haven't played the sheraton but I'm currenly contemplating buy a dot studio. I play an epi lp plain top that has been modified and it sounds great but I've played the dot studio and I love that sound so that would be my pic. The thing I would recommend is to find a way to try out all the guitars you can and then make a choice on what may feel right.

As far as starting on an electric vs. acoustic. I started on an electric so you'll probably be fine.

As far as other tips, I recommend lessons but when first starting and then take a break to explore why type of stuff you want play. Once you get afew things down take afew more. I started taking lessons at a local music store where the guy taught me how to play the songs I wanted but didn't teach me the why behind some of the stuff I learned. I took about six months off of lessons and explored the stuff I wanted to play and am now taking a course through the local university that focuses more why rather than the how and I would recommend this type of course.

Alot of guys will tell you a guitar stand is key and it is but also have your guitar in area where you don't mind sitting and playing for afew minutes.

Try and practice every day if possible.

one last tip and possibly a key thing someone in here said to me. it can get extremely frustrating at times trying to learn a part of a song. Currently, I just can't get the opening lick to Rock N Roll to sound right. The key is learn when to put it down. Most stuff you practice on and practice on and get totally pissed and then the next time you try to play it. You nail it. I've had it happen to me several times and I've only been playin a year and half. persistance is key.

The name "studio" attached to a guitar implies that maybe it's not quite attractive enough to play in public. So they have fewer attractive appointments like binding around the body' date=' f-holes, and fingerboard. As I recall, the Dot Studio doesn't even have dots on the fingerboard.

These days, people don't seem to have an issue with playing a really ugly guitar in public, so now you have to pay MORE for a new guitar that looks like it has been to hell and back.[/quote']

Exactly, the studio model is supposed to be the same in playability and tone without the extra cost of binding, expensive fret markers, and hardware. After all, the beauty of the finish doesn't come out on the CD. And, you can leave it in the studio overnight and not worry that someone will steal your $4995 guitar. They may walk off with it, but they won't get the vintage '59 Les Paul.

Archived