Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Es-135 - your opinions?

dougg330

Hey, all -

I'm torn.

I'm watching an Epiphone ES-135 on EBay and thinking of moving on it. Trouble is, I would have to get rid of something from my current lineup... and there's also a Riviera with mini humbuckers that I'm watching.

I actually owned this Riviera once - sold it to make room for another guitar, which is also now gone - so I know something about the Riviera. But I've never seen, touched, or heard the 135

Does anyone out there own (or have some experience with) the Epi ES-135? What can you tell me about its tone, neck, etc.?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

And quickly, too - have to get this done this weekend.

Thanks -

dougg330

There are several variations of the Gibson version ... some have stoptails, some have trapeze tailpieces, some have f-holes, some don't, and there were models with P-90's, P-100's and humbuckers.

My experience is that they play pretty much like a similarly equipped 335, only with a single cutaway. The centerblock is made of lighter wood, so it's a bit lighter than the 335, but if you like one, you'll probably like the other. I haven't had a chance to play the Epiphone version.

Archived