Gibson Brands Forums

HNPD! GFS Dream 90's in my Sheraton.

vomer

I've come out on the forum before now and said that I just can't seem to get on with humbuckers. I know that's a terrible admission on a Gibson/Epiphone site... But I do love the way my Sheraton plays, and the sound of P90's... So I've had these sitting in the box since before xmas and I've finally got around to fitting them. Mrs vomer found out she bought me a christmas present but didn't mind. She was less happy to see the Sheraton innards out again; I promised no swearing this time. Doing this job was easier second time around.

Funny that I thought I'd bought Mean 90's, but apparently not. Jay describes the Means as smoother, warmer, fuller, more vintage, which is what I wanted; I thought about sticking the Dreams on ebay and ordering some Means, but then I thought, sometimes these things happen for a reason. So I put them in. And wow. I had GFS Vintage 59's in, which were fine, but these Dream 90's just brought a big grin. Smooth, fat clean sound with the p90 tone from the neck. Bridge is sharp and biting without any harshness. I never use the bridge much generally, don't like that 'rock' tone, but when you start to overdrive either pup through a valve amp then the fun really starts. The bridge just snarls, from a Malcolm Young- style crunch to biting stinging lead with body- Leslie West anyone? Overdrive from the neck growls- not rough or harsh, and I can't imagine what's missing if the Means are "warmer and fuller"; this neck tone goes from jazz-smooth clean to a sheer animal growl. I couldn't believe what I was hearing for the money. Are the Means actually better or substantially different?

Both pickups together gives an out of phase honk, which I have a question about. There's a volume drop compared with either of the other pickups. They are listed as being RWRP but I've not found this volume drop on an RWRP strat I have. It wouldn't be possible to switch between positions 1/3 and 2 in live playing without juggling volume controls or using a boost. Doesn't seem quite right to me, I haven't asked Jay at GFS yet, anyone have any thoughts?

Even with this niggle I'm loving these pickups!

Thanks John, a day later and I'm still happy with it.

The mid position problem was that one pickup was out of phase. I had heard of this but not come across it myself before. Swapping one pickup's leads over sorted it.

I thought this post might start a Mean 90 vs. Dream 90 discussion =P~ ; anyone like to comment? I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

Hi,

I am wanting to put in those GFS P90's in my Epi LP Classic....but I am too torn between decisions. I mostly play jazz/blues/fusion CLEAN.....except for comp/sustain pedal. I almost always use the MIDDLE pup position (both pups) and I LOVE that bell-like tone that the humbuckers give. I like the idea of P90's but don't wanna lose that bell like tone! And to make it worse none of the local guitar stores have any guitars with P90's so I could test 'em out and see what the tone is like. I am comparing the clean tone of my Gibson SG Special to the LP and it is almost identical...using the middle pick up position. And since I already have the SG, with the perfect tone, I thought it would be cool to have a guitar, such as my LP with P90's in it......Maybe I can do what Stranger did......just get a NECK GFS P90 and see how that goes.....=P~

Archived