Gibson Brands Forums

Alex Lifeson 355

UNIONCITY62

O:) It is just me or has anyone that has seen the new Lifeson 355 is equally disapointed. This weekend I finally put my hands on one and Iwas stun at the sloppy workmanship from Gibson's custom shop- (the glue was showing coming out of the binding,and the "F" holes were not smooth and looked unfinished-ugh!)I love Gibson,and have both electrics and acoustics but i got to tell you I hope that's not a new trend of what is coming out of Gibson's custom shop- has anyone else seen this as well?

I have heard many similar complaints about this guitar. Mine, however is nearly perfect except a small amount of paint bleed in the binding where the top horn meets the neck. It is very minor. The bigger issue is the volute is 1" lower on the neck than it should be. 70's 355s did not have this low volute. I think Gibson has never made a guitar with a low volute. So, it is not up to specs of a 70's 355 and is a structural design flaw because it makes the back of the neck shorther than it should be. I certainly hope it is not a sign of things to come.

Thanks Wondo So I am guessing that they finished the the sides of the "F" holes and polished your guitar to were raw pieces of wood are not sticking out like the 355 I saw. Okay maybe that was a bad custom apple.

Hey UnionCity,

No, my "F" holes are pretty good. No raw pieces of wood sticking through. I think a couple more coats of paint might have made it look better, but overall they're not bad. I got a really good guitar. I know I probably was one of the first if not the first to order one of these guitars. I had been talking with Saul at Center City Music about this guitar as soon as Alex mentioned the possibility of Gibson coming out with a signature model. I would check in with him periodically and of course the Custom Shop could not give an absolute answer since it had not been released at NAMM, but there was indication at that point it was going to happen. So, as soon as NAMM made the release. That day I called Saul, and he offically put in an order. Ironically, I probably was one of the first to order it, but yet I got #175. Because I was the first to put in the order with Center City Music, I got to pick mine, so I think I got a really good one. Saul takes care of his customers. I have dealt with many Gibson dealers and Saul is simply the best there is period.

The finish and binding on mine was flawless, They could have sprayed the inside of the "F" hole alittle more.

The only thing that was wrong on mine was loose screws on the bridge, The tuners were loose, and the end of the trem arm came off.

You pay that much money and you think they could push the end on more then 1/16" of an inch. I pushed it back on and now the bar doesn't hang over the end of the guitar. Everyone should check that out.

Archived