Gibson Brands Forums

Old Epi Pickups

Lardog666

Does anybody out there know when Epiphone started using braided wire for thier humbucker pickups? I just bought a matching pair of Gibson/Epiphone humbuckers & the leads are plastic sheathed rather than braided wire. Are these old pickups? Counterfiet? I am not sure whether to neg the ebay seller or not...

I am still trying to figure out how to upload my pics onto these forums... so effectively... no pics at the moment. But if Epiphone pickups do not have braided wire leads then I would hazard a guess that I'm Ok... I am probably being paranoid... the seller of these pups had some negs in his seller history saying that some of his products were counterfiet (an eBay electronic warehouse in China)... & all the info I found on Epi Humbuckers showed that they had braided wire leads, but then again, I may not have found "Epiphone" humbuckers in my research (one would think I'd do this BEFORE I bought from eBay)

You can't upload pics to this site directly, you have to remote host them on a site like photobucket or imageshack. Go to http://www.imageshack.us and upload them there, one at a time, and copy the forum link it gives you, then paste that here. That's the simplest way to do it, or you could set up a free account on either site to be able to have return access to your hosted images. I keep meaning to post a tutorial on how to do that, it's a question that gets asked VERY frequently here, LOL...

This is what old Asian(non-Japanese) Epiphone pickups are supposed to look like.

"Left" what they used up till 2002(I think), "right" current production.

Note the engraved Epiphone logo, The engraved F for the front PU, R for rear PU, and the oval sticker with specs. Disregard the marker scriblings, these are "notes to self"... :-)

file.php?id=80&mode=view

Much thanks to everyone!!! My fears have been proven false! I was a little concerned because I got the pair for $40 & I got to thinking that it was too good to be true... Now it's time to put these pups into my Sonex (We have the technology...We can rebuild him)... Again, thanks a bunch!

Archived