Gibson Brands Forums

To those who have an Epi doubleneck....

Mr B

Hi all...

I just bought a new G1275 yesterday. To those who have one, I'd like to ask a question or two;

Is there anything I *should* be aware of (common issues with these guitars)?

True or false; I'd read before buying that getting strings for these can/might be a bugger, because of the extra string length between the bridge and tail. If true, any suggestions on a brand of strings that'll work well with this axe?

TIA!

B.

I never had problems when I had mine... I think most 12 string sets are a tiny bit longer anyway to allow for the longer headstock. Your biggest hurdle will be finding a store that keeps 12 string electric sets in stock, you may end up having to order them. If so, I suggest ordering in bulk, to save on shipping. Enjoy it, they're fun guitars!

I never had problems when I had mine... I think most 12 string sets are a tiny bit longer anyway to allow for the longer headstock. Your biggest hurdle will be finding a store that keeps 12 string electric sets in stock' date=' you may end up having to order them. If so, I suggest ordering in bulk, to save on shipping. Enjoy it, they're fun guitars![/quote']

Thanks for the reply... =P~

It's definitely a "fun" guitar. Haven't owned a 12 string in almost 20 years (last was a Yamaha acoustic), but all those old tunes I played on it are slowly coming back (Led Zep; Over the Hills..., bunch of Tom Petty...etc...)

Any recommendation on a string brand?

Thanks again! =P~

B.

Any recommendation on a string brand?

Honestly, I don't remember what brand I was playing at the time... I think it would have still been Dean Markleys back then... I seem to remember having a hard time finding them in 12 string sets though. More recently, I was using D'Addario 12 string sets on my tripleneck (6, 7, 12) and was pleased with thier tone and longetivity. Not the most expensive strings on the wall, either, which is a plus. Be prepared though, restringing is a pain, because you can't get a stringwinder between the necks. Set aside a good hour for stringing and tuning... you won't be able to just "throw a set on and go" in a few minutes like you can on most 6 string single necks. Not only do you have 3 times the number of strings to install, stretch, and tune, but you have to make sure the two necks are in tune perfectly with each other. Spending proper time and attention on intonation during setups is key.

Which model did you get, set neck, or bolt on? And where are the pics? =P~/

Honestly' date=' I don't remember what brand I was playing at the time... I think it would have still been Dean Markleys back then... I seem to remember having a hard time finding them in 12 string sets though. More recently, I was using D'Addario 12 string sets on my tripleneck (6, 7, 12) and was pleased with thier tone and longetivity. Not the most expensive strings on the wall, either, which is a plus. Be prepared though, restringing is a pain, because you can't get a stringwinder between the necks. Set aside a good hour for stringing and tuning... you won't be able to just "throw a set on and go" in a few minutes like you can on most 6 string single necks. Not only do you have 3 times the number of strings to install, stretch, and tune, but you have to make sure the two necks are in tune perfectly with each other. Spending proper time and attention on intonation during setups is key. [/quote']

When I bought it, I asked them to throw in a set of strings as one of the B strings had broken and was therefore missing. They did, and I got a set of D'Addarios (.010-.046) I've played D'Addarios before, and like them.

I've got a string winder, but for some reason, I hardly ever use it when restringing....go figure...LOL I've also got a Zoom G1X effects pedal with a built in tuner....it works pretty good as far as tuning.

Thanks again for the input. Greatly appreciated. =P~

Which model did you get' date=' set neck, or bolt on? And where are the pics? =P~/ [/quote']

I got a G1275, set neck, in Alpine White at Guitar Center in Boston, MA (a mile or so from where I work). If I ever put the thing down long enough to pick up the camera, I'll post some pix...LOL XD

Thanks again.

B.

Archived