Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt AJ500RC

Grandpa Larry

I have an opportunity to buy a nice AJ500RC for a bit under $500.

I'd like to hear whether those of you who own these axes still like them as much as you did when they were new.

Also, I already own an AJ500M. How similar sounding are these guitars? I won't have the chance to play before I buy.

I have an opportunity to buy a nice AJ500RC for a bit under $500.

I'd like to hear whether those of you who own these axes still like them as much as you did when they were new.

Also' date=' I already own an AJ500M. How similar sounding are these guitars? I won't have the chance to play before I buy.[/quote']

More. Sounds deeper, richer, and at the same time, still has enough high-end cutting power I generally wouldn't expect in a rosewood-bodied (and cedar-topped!) jumbo.

I've played some M's (DR & AJ) in the shops. WHile they are quite fine, I think you have a slightly different animal in the RC. More volume, richer bottom end. Also, with the wider V neck, fingering will be different.

Another thought--the RC will have collector value as it has been discontinued and, as one can see from all the GAS-ing for it on these pages, a much-desired classic.

discontinued because they had a ton of problems with them. but get a good one and they are nice

Beyond the bridge pull-ups (admittedly, a BIG one!), what problems? This is the only one I've heard of. Our prospective buyer should certainly check this out carefully on the box he's going to get. To my knowledge, though, that aside, $500. for this in any kind of decent shape is a real steal.

Archived