Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a tube amp....

Not a horrible amp, though you could probably find it cheaper if you were patient. I guess the key is to identify what type of sound you're looking for first, though. Might be that it's the perfect amp for you. Or, it might be the farthest thing possible from what you're looking for.

I bought a used Classic 30 back in the 80s for $250, so the price is probably not a bad one. I tried it out in the store and bought it. Once I got it home, I found it to be lacking in low end response. The dealer gave me a set of output tubes. Still no improvement. I mentioned it to him when I was in the store later and he gave me a set of 12" speakers (nice guy) that he had taken out when he replaced someone's speakers with Black Widows. Still no low end.

I was used to a Peavey Musician 4x12 so I decided that I was spoiled for low end and stuck it in the closet and it sat there for about 5 years. I sold it for $100 to a church member who jammed once a week with some other guys. He was living on SS and it wasn't doing me or anyone any good in the closet. My good deed for the week. He LOVED that amp and talked about it all the time. Go figure. Expectations are unique.

Everyone I know loves the Classic 30. I bought one based on the sound from a friend's Classic 30 that I tried out.

(after thought) The bass control on that amp didn't make much difference at all from all the way down to all the way up. I imagine that there was a failed component in the tone circuit or a preamp tube needed to be changed.

Archived