Gibson Brands Forums

Running my N/S2 in the efeects loop for preamp noise reduction?

Like the title says, can i run my N/S2 in the effects loop to get rid of some unwanted noise when im using the high gain channel with max gain setting?

Just a thought?

How would i connect it? FX send-N/S2 input- N/S2 output- FX return. If i do this can i still use the N/S2's fx loop as normal with other pedals?

Cheers #-o

I think you are going to have noise at high gain no matter how you hook up. The trick is to mute strings that are not being played and hope that the noise is hidden below the noise floor of the band.

I find that lowering my distortion and using a heavy pick is a good solution as opposed to a thin pick and higher gain. Drive those strings and you get distortion only when you pick.

I don't to tapping very much, but a compressor is another solution to getting good attack and sustain along with a moderate amount of overdrive.

How would i connect it? FX send-N/S2 input- N/S2 output- FX return. If i do this can i still use the N/S2's fx loop as normal with other pedals?

Cheers [-o<

I can't remeber how mines labeled, haven't used one in a while, but just try one way and if it don't work try the other....you are not going to hurt anything. Any pedals going through the NS2 while it's plugged into the amp's FX loop will also be routed through the amp's FX loop....if I understand what you are asking correctly.

I can't remember what the original issues you are having, but are you complaning about noise when you are not playing. Can't you just roll of the guitar volume when you're not playing? Are you having this noise issue everywhere you go or just at home? Sure it's not bad home ground?

You must be running some serious high gain, or have your head stuck right up to the amp. You're going to get some kind of hiss out of just every amp. Some less than others....depends on alot of things. Maybe I worded that wrong.

Anyhow as I said can't remember your original issues, brains shrinking with old age#-o

I was trying to get rid of hiss from having the gain on max so by running the noise suppressor in the fx loop to get rid of preamp hiss/overall hiss.

Well i tried it, It did get rid of some hiss but it also cut my volume down quite alot too? Oh well. Its not a bad hiss i just like to have a perfect sound. trying to get rid of little bits here and there.

Also whilst running my pedals i came to a final order.

Guitar-Noise Supp-Amp

Noise supp fx loop send- wah- Metal diss- overdrive- phaser- chorus- noise supp fx loop return

Hate the chorus in the amps effect loop sounds really bland but in the noise supp loop it sound awesome. (this isnt most peoples favourite way but its now mine. lol)

The delay is in the amps effects loop at the minute but i may put it before amp input to see how it sounds???

Why is hiss a problem for you? Are you recording and need to minimize extraneous noise? You could very well dial that hiss out, or at least greatly minimize it, during mastering, with a good EQ. In fact, you could do the same on the front end as well, with a 31 band graphic. You should be able to find the offending frequency and dial it back without molesting too much of your tone.

If you're not recording, what's the problem? So what if it hisses while you're in the basement rehearsing? You won't notice it while you're playing. If it's a consideration for stage, forget it. That hiss isn't going to be audible at all while you're playing, and you shouldn't be standing around not playing long enough for it to become noticeable anyway.

The delay is in the amps effects loop at the minute but i may put it before amp input to see how it sounds???

If your amp doesnt have a gain stage, or heavy breakup, you should be fine with the delay up front. Then again some folks like there OD and Distortion after the delay anyways. When I run distortion or heavy breakup I use very little dealy or reverb....if any actually. I prefer the raw sound, and it's much more natural sounding to me....a lot more manageable thats for sure.

I definitely never run my reverb and delay ay the same time. It just sounds real splattery(is that a word?) and seems to get lost in the mix quick...at least to me. I mostly just use a quick slap back to fatten up...not to many repeats in other words.

Anyhow I'm with M on the noise, and I do understand you wanting it to be perfect. But if you aint recording I'd just forget about it an just push-a-da-gas and go.

Been messing about with all my settings now for a while. Can get my metal dis pedal sounding good on the clean channel so no need to use the high gain channel with gain maxed out. Can use both channels on the amp for hard rock where they sound best. Channel 1 for rythem and channel 2 for boost for solos. I use to use an overdrive pedal for playing solo's which isnt the best, so good to get rid of it from the chain as on the clean channel it sounds completely crap lol. Cheap rubbish! Keep thinking of an eq pedal for my chain, not so i can have more pedals than nessassery just be good to play with and see what i can get out of it.

The hiss isnt that bad, like i said i just dont like any interferance. Dont play gigs so its not a major prob.

Archived