Gibson Brands Forums

What type pickups are used in a 2006 Les Paul Standard Plus

rodhorn54

I want to change out my original Epi pickups but I want to make sure I'm upgrading and not going laterally. Are they AlNiCo's and what are their output capacities. I have a shot at two humbuckers, a "57CH(G)" meters 8.58, and a '57 Classic P.A.F. hLead/Bridge labeled "HOTCH(G)" meters a very hot 13.84 kOhms. Is this an improvement over the stock humbuckers I already have.

I want to change out my original Epi pickups but I want to make sure I'm upgrading and not going laterally. Are they AlNiCo's and what are their output capacities. I have a shot at two humbuckers' date=' a "57CH(G)" meters 8.58, and a '57 Classic P.A.F. hLead/Bridge labeled "HOTCH(G)" meters a very hot 13.84 kOhms. Is this an improvement over the stock humbuckers I already have. [/quote']

The 57CH is the current neck pickup in the 2006 LP standard, and the bridge is the HOTCH so if you buy them you will be putting in the same pickups that you have stock. I put a set of Seymour Duncan Hotrodded humbucker set (SH-2n neck, and SH-4JB for the bridge). This is a great set and for $130 you cant go wrong. but stay ways from the Epiphone humbuckers they are all about the same, muddy and lifeless. but that is just my opinion.

The 57CH is the current neck pickup in the 2006 LP standard' date=' and the bridge is the HOTCH so if you buy them you will be putting in the same pickups that you have stock. I put a set of Seymour Duncan Hotrodded humbucker set (SH-2n neck, and SH-4JB for the bridge). This is a great set and for $130 you cant go wrong. but stay ways from the Epiphone humbuckers they are all about the same, muddy and lifeless. but that is just my opinion.

[/quote']

Very true. You'd be buying what you have to replace the same thing you've already got.

As far as the Duncan pair goes, step out of the Alnico V field and jump into the Ceramic assault vehicle that is the SH-6 Distortion set. These pickups bring good things to life, and they are also very good for drop tunings.

The Hotrodded set is great too, but if you want more bite and overall output go for the SH-6 pair.

$130 for the set!

(PS on the epi pickups, (g) = Gold (ch) = chrome)

SH-6Set.jpg

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Seymour-Duncan-Distortion-Mayhem-SH-6-Humbucker-Pair-103303582-i1127369.gc

Archived