Gibson Brands Forums

Roller or Standard for replacement Bridge for Joe Pass? AB1 L8 or L9?

jozluck

b][just wondering if anyone knows which is the best fit as a replacement...also, can you perminately mount the bridge with a sound board underplate and brass screws and nuts? I hate the way it is and how it moves when you play it....

Have had it toned and ported, new electronics Gibson 500 pots, 57' humbuckler and need only one more new humbuckler...but this bridge I need to replace and I think the old one sucks energy out of the strings...

joe

Anyone who actually knows what they are talking about please reply....

I have a Joe Pass 1996 variety and last week I upgraded the bridge with an archtop roller bridge from Guitar Fetish. I had to lop off the screw in bits a little with a dremel tool so I did not shred myself playing. I also sanded about 1/32 off the top of the rosewood support in order to get proper string clearance. Took a few minutes and it was done.

It does not move around whatsoever when I play and the sound and intonation difference is amazing.

Best few bucks I ever spent IMHO. :-

[/bThank you!!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking of getting one already arched.....as theirs is flat...and a bit shorter in width...they vary a lot it seems, yet all are said to be ABR1 replacements....that is what worries me.

Is it solid brass or gold coated?

Yeah, the intonation is very poor with a capo now, but being an older model, it aged well and the toning woods have mellowed the sound out greatly....]

Archived