Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Firebird Studio Worn Cherry Reviews

They are nice guitars, but honestly, the Firebird Studio isn't a "real" Firebird. That's partly the fault of the set-neck as opposed to a through-neck, but the real culprits are the pick-ups (full-sized humbuckers as opposed to mini-hums).

If you want a similar tone, then you might want to take a look at the G-400s. In my opinion, the sound is not dissimilar, and you might save some money in the process.

On the other hand, if you want a guitar that looks like a Firebird, is still a nice guitar in its own right, but doesn't really have any of the tonal qualities of the guitar it pretends to be, then the Epiphone Firebird Studio probably will not disappoint you.

This is not being unduly harsh. As I said at the start, these are nice guitars. Just don't expect it to be anything like a Gibson Firebird.

They are nice guitars' date=' but honestly, the Firebird Studio isn't a "real" Firebird. That's partly the fault of the set-neck as opposed to a through-neck, but the real culprits are the pick-ups (full-sized humbuckers as opposed to mini-hums).

[/quote']

LS: The Epiphone Firebird Studio is modeled on the Gibson Firebird Studio, which has a set, as oppossed to through-neck, and full-sized humbuckers, as oppossed to mini-hums.

Red 333

LS: The Epiphone Firebird Studio is modeled on the Gibson Firebird Studio' date=' which has a set, as oppossed to through-neck, and full-sized humbuckers, as oppossed to mini-hums.

Red 333[/quote']

Yes, I remember those. But they didn't stick around long as I recall.

61013822ab6d43545293dbc542b81b21.jpg

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic (probably because I'm a bit of a Firebird obsessive)...but full-sized hums in a "Firebird" just seems wrong to me (much like humbuckers in a Fender Jaguar!)

Still, each guitar deserves to be judged on its own merits, not against some mythical (or personal) "gold standard."

-52: the best idea would be track one of these down and play it, before "saving up" for one. Buying unfamiliar guitars on-line without have experienced a similar instrument first-hand, sometimes leads to disappointment (take it from one who learned that lesson the hard way!)

Yes' date=' I remember those. But they didn't stick around long as I recall.

[img']http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/61013822ab6d43545293dbc542b81b21.jpg[/img]

Perhaps I'm being too pedantic (probably because I'm a bit of a Firebird obsessive)...but full-sized hums in a "Firebird" just seems wrong to me (much like humbuckers in a Fender Jaguar!)

Still, each guitar deserves to be judged on its own merits, not against some mythical (or personal) "gold standard."

-52: the best idea would be track one of these down and play it, before "saving up" for one. Buying unfamiliar guitars on-line without have experienced a similar instrument first-hand, sometimes leads to disappointment (take it from one who learned that lesson the hard way!)

Thanks, I can easily track 1 down, BTW I don't no much about set necks and Thru-necks.

Archived