Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup spacing on a Dot

Bard2dbone

Hi all.

I got a deal on a Dot. It plays really well and I'm mostly happy about it. But I hate that pickguard.

I guess I've been traind over the years to think that there is only one proper shape for the [pickguard on a semihollow thinbody guitar.

SO...Will the guard for a 335 fit on a Dot? The pickup spacing looks the same. But it'd really suck to buy a guard and discover the spacing was ALMOST the same.

Someone suggested getting a Lucille, because it already has the proper guard. I think that's a bit excessive. Part of the appeal of buyine the less expensive model is that you can modify and customize with feeling sacriligious.

For the Dot, I'm thinking new pots, wiring, switch, and jack to start. Professional setup. And then maybe new pockups. Currently I'm liking the idea of humbucker sized P90's.

The spacing is ALMOST the same. I solved the problem on my Dot by replacing the Epi pickup surrounds with Gibson pickup surrounds. But bear in mind, my Dot is an '05, and with the "musical factories" that Epiphone plays, your mileage may vary. But the good news is that it is not difficult to modify the pickup cutouts with round and flat files and a little sandpaper.

Your other alternative is to go to one of the sites that customize pickguards (Pickguardian or Pickguard Heaven, for example) or to employ someone (like our very own TWANG) who specializes in the art.

So with the Gibson surrounds, it all just bolted up with factory parts? You didn't have to have anything made?

That sounds like a best case scenario, for sure.

And your tailpiece looks different. What year is yours? Where was it nade?

My Dot is an '05, made somewhere in China. The tailpiece is a Gibson TP-6. I love it for getting the tuning spot-on. Be warned, though, to install it I had to remove the stud inserts (they pulled right out) and increase the hole size to accommodate the inserts that came with the Gibby studs. (The separation was right, but the space at the top for the "wings" of the new TP was insufficient for the thicker TP-6--and no, I didn't use a tapered reamer! ;-) ) Cheers.

Archived