Gibson Brands Forums

Does this Les Paul Standard look genuine?

intoflatlines

lp.jpg

Supposedly made in Saein Korea in 1996, the other party says it's an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I only have this one picture, but I am meeting up tomorrow to make the trade. Anything in particular I should look for when I check out the guitar? I'm completely new to Epiphone guitars, so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Great forum over here! :-&

It looks great! Presuming that the terms are good, you should look for how the guitar plays. How's the action? (This can be fixed.) How's the intonation? (This can be fixed.) Play all the fret positions for all the strings--is there any buzzing? (This probably could be fixed, but you might not know until after you've bought it.) Are the frets obviously worn? (Bad sign--$300 fix.) How's the finish? Any big scratches, nicks, or dings? (May or may not matter to you if it otherwise plays well.) Do open chords sound in tune when played in first position? (Could be nut or intonation problems, but can be fixed.)

Remember, the thrill of the chase is half the romance! Enjoy. Cheers.

Thanks for the info! How do 1996 (or mid-late 90s) Epiphone LP Standards compare to today's models? I can't really find any specs to see what the differences are. Are they generally well made or should I cancel the trade and try to pick up an LP from another year? :)

Looks genuine to me. 90's made epiphones are usually from korea. i don't know if the specs are exactly the same

from today's made in China les pauls. The only thing i noticed is that the machine heads before were kluson-type

(Les pauls's today have grovers)and truss rod cover before says "Gibson".

i have a 1996 fine guitars epi LP standard... i like it alot but be prepared to change the pickups and electronics to professional grade if you plan to use this in a working environment. its just something we epi players have gotten used to doing.. i prefer korean standards to the chinese standards by alot they just feel better to me, the chinese customs are pretty great though, although you need to change out the elctronics on those too

Archived