Gibson Brands Forums

restoring an old ea-250

eezapz2101

hi to every one

im restoring an ea-250 with gfs loudmouth humbuckers and tnt guitars wiring harness and aslo a coil tap pot

now heres the issue i did the instalation acording to the harness spec but the guitar makes noise if i take my hands if the strings why? can someone help me? im a rookie. now i've noticed that some wiring diagrams are diferent in the way the pots are wired why? some tone pots are from the center rod to the back of the pot other diagrams show the left rod soldered to the back of the pot again why? whats the efect or the diference?

hi to every one

im restoring an ea-250 with gfs loudmouth humbuckers and tnt guitars wiring harness and aslo a coil tap pot

now heres the issue i did the instalation acording to the harness spec but the guitar makes noise if i take my hands if the strings why? can someone help me? im a rookie. now i've noticed that some wiring diagrams are diferent in the way the pots are wired why? some tone pots are from the center rod to the back of the pot other diagrams show the left rod soldered to the back of the pot again why? whats the efect or the diference?

I cant easily answer your tone pot question, because I dont know off the top of my head. But your noise problem is a bad ground. Did you remember to ground to your bridge? This will cause that type of noise.

I cant easily answer your tone pot question' date=' because I dont know off the top of my head. But your noise problem is a bad ground. Did you remember to ground to your bridge? This will cause that type of noise.[/quote']

yes i grounded to the bridge

now i've noticed that some wiring diagrams are diferent in the way the pots are wired why? some tone pots are from the center rod to the back of the pot other diagrams show the left rod soldered to the back of the pot again why? whats the efect or the diference?

first of all, we need to get the correct terminology here..." center rod" = center tap of

the tone or volume pot and is the wiper that moves on the horseshoe shaped resistive

element that is linear or audio tapered.

here's a typical 2 humbucker/2vol/2tone/3way diagram from Seymour Duncan..

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

Note that the center tap on the tone connects the cap to ground which is the pot case.

Viewing the tone pot the outer tap (left ..looking at the diagram) goes to the volume.

The tone pot has one floating tap (usually the right side looking at it, but depends on which way

the pot is situated in the control cavity) in order to have the tone change following a clockwise rotation.

(If the other side of the tone pot gets hooked up, then it would follow a counter clockwise rotation on

the SD drawing. )

In essence the capacitor is in series with the resistor of the tone pot, so you can actually wire it

2 different ways..

1) wire it so that the center tap goes to the cap, and the other side of the cap is soldered to the pot

case as in the SD diagram

or

2) wire the center tap(tone) to pot case (ground), and solder one side of the cap to the left tap. and the other

side of the cap connects to the volume.

Either way, it works the same way.

first of all' date=' we need to get the correct terminology here..." center rod" = center tap of

the tone or volume pot and is the wiper that moves on the horseshoe shaped resistive

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

Note that the center tap on the tone connects the cap to ground which is the pot case.

Viewing the tone pot the outer tap (left ..looking at the diagram) goes to the volume.

The tone pot has one floating tap (usually the right side looking at it, but depends on which way

the pot is situated in the control cavity) in order to have the tone change following a clockwise rotation.

(If the other side of the tone pot gets hooked up, then it would follow a counter clockwise rotation on

the SD drawing. )

In essence the capacitor is in series with the resistor of the tone pot, so you can actually wire it

2 different ways..

1) wire it so that the center tap goes to the cap, and the other side of the cap is soldered to the pot

or

2) wire the center tap(tone) to pot case (ground), and solder one side of the cap to the left tap. and the other

[/quote']

question are the volume and tone pots any diferent? to me they look alike but is there a tech diference betweenthem?

first of all' date=' we need to get the correct terminology here..." center rod" = center tap of

the SD drawing. )

2 different ways..

or

[/quote']

hi again

i just redid all of the wiriing on my guitar acording to the sd diagrams but the guitar still makes noise when i dont have my hands on the strings

and yes all of the pots are grounded together theres a ground cable that goes from pot to pot soldered on the back and one cable to the tailpice (not soldered)

can you or any one else guide me as what to do?

oh one more thing i instaled a coil tap pot and im using it intead of the tone pot, the thing is that i dont know if that pot is design for tone or volume use.

helpppppp

Archived