Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG Special Lefty?

flyingv09

Is this available in a left hand model? Guitar Ctr has it for 169.00 which seems affordable. If not' date=' in order to make a right hand model into a lefty, will I need to replace the nut? Or just reverse the strings? Thanx.[/quote']

It's not available left-handed. I think a used lefty G-400 would be a better buy than that guitar; higher quality components and a set neck.

Both the SG Special and the G-400 have a Nut Width of 1.68", a width that is common to many of Epiphone's electric guitars. If you have a chance to try one at a local music store you can judge the thickness for yourself. The Epiphone G-310 has a bolt-on neck like Fender and the G-400 has a set-in neck like Gibson. Ibanez has some guitars with very thin necks if that is something you really want.

Is this available in a left hand model? Guitar Ctr has it for 169.00 which seems affordable. If not' date=' in order to make a right hand model into a lefty, will I need to replace the nut? Or just reverse the strings? Thanx.[/quote']

If this will be your first/learning guitar....

I found the skinny neck of my G400 more difficult (at first) because it makes it seem like the strings are closer together.

(Compared to either of my LPs)

So for me, the LP is easier to play/learn than the G400.

IMHO, YMMV, and all the other standard disclaimers. :)

As a fellow lefty, I empathize; finding a LH guitar is difficult enough, but I will recommend not getting the cheapest one you can find.

I spent way more than I intended on my first guitar.

I too was looking sub 200, ended up at just over 500.

Over time, I came to realize I had a much better instrument than the low end I started looking for (but could not find).

AJ

Archived