Gibson Brands Forums

Help with Sheraton wiring problem

razzyy

Hi

I recently installed new pick ups and wiring kit into my Sheraton but there seems to be some kind of problem. Hoping someone can help here cos this is the first time I've done this and am pretty clueless.

With the bridge pickup selected, the volume control does nothing and the tone seems to only make a difference to the sound at either 10 or 0 with no difference inbetween. With both pickups selected the bridge volume again does nothing but the neck volume cuts the sound out at 0 but is back to full volume between 1 and 10. With the neck pickup selected everything works as it should although is noticably much quieter than the bridge.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I followed the wiring diagram and took my time so am unsure what is going on. I realise I'll have to take it all out and take a look but just wondered if anyone knew what was going on before i did that?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Ryan

Hi

I recently installed new pick ups and wiring kit into my Sheraton but there seems to be some kind of problem. Hoping someone can help here cos this is the first time I've done this and am pretty clueless.

With the bridge pickup selected' date=' the volume control does nothing and the tone seems to only make a difference to the sound at either 10 or 0 with no difference inbetween. [/quote']

Did you install a new 3-way + tones and volumes along with the p_ups?

If so, you should be trying out the new p_ups with the "tap test".

Turn up both volumes and tones up full, select the p_ups and tap with a

metallic object (screwdriver etc) on the pole pieces. The sound should

come through loud on the selected p_up. With the switch in the middle

position, both p_ups should have the same volume....if not..

You have either wired up the 3-way, or volume controls incorrectly..somehow

or... you have some kind of short somewher, or possibly a soldering issue.

What type of wiring diagram and pickups did you get?

With both pickups selected the bridge volume again does nothing but the neck volume cuts the sound out at 0 but is back to full volume between 1 and 10. With the neck pickup selected everything works as it should although is noticably much quieter than the bridge.

Well..I can't understand the "noticibly quieter" part..but it sounds like for the most part, the neck p_up is working.

Thanks for getting back to me Carverman.

I installed brand new wiring for pots, a new jack and new switch along with the pickups. They were from Axetec in the UK. I got the Rolling Mills pickups and they sound excellent but I'm not getting the most out of them at the moment.

I did the tap test and it's revealed that I've wired the pickups round the wrong way. In other words when the switch is up it's selecting the bridge pickup rather than the neck. Which means the bridge is installed correctly and the volume and tone issue is with the neck. I've managed to balance the pickups now as well so they're both at the same volume. I guess it helps knowing which is which!

Looks like it's doing the electrics again. There goes another day.

Thanks agin

Archived