Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard for an SG?

DizzyFingers

Does anybody know where I can get a customized pickguard that will fit my Epiphone G400 SG...

It is a 61 reissue and I would love to put a standard (full sized) pickguard on it...needless to say I would also want a different color choice than black...

I just can't leave a guitar sit there stock...(it's almost a crime!) :-$

You can find places on the internet that will do that for you. Google 'custom pickguards'. Just make sure that you order a G-400 pickguard as a true SG pickguard will not fit.

Dunno if this will matter to you, but, technically, the full pickguard will be incorrect on the G-400 since it is loosely based on a '62 SG. The thing about the full 'guard is that when it was introduced in 1966, the SG had also been re-designed with a completely different neck joint, which was now positioned under the 19th fret (previous SGs had the neck joint at the 22nd fret). So in a certain sense, slapping a 1966 pickguard on a 1962 model guitar is kind of goofy. But that didn't stop Epiphone from doing it and after all, it's your guitar.

You can find places on the internet that will do that for you. Google 'custom pickguards'. Just make sure that you order a G-400 pickguard as a true SG pickguard will not fit.

Dunno if this will matter to you' date=' but, technically, the full pickguard will be incorrect on the G-400 since it is loosely based on a '62 SG. The thing about the full 'guard is that when it was introduced in 1966, the SG had also been re-designed with a completely different neck joint, which was now positioned under the 19th fret (previous SGs had the neck joint at the 22nd fret). So in a certain sense, slapping a 1966 pickguard on a 1962 model guitar is kind of goofy. But that didn't stop Epiphone from doing it and after all, it's your guitar.[/quote']

If I had a Gibson I would not touch anything but leave it stock...half the fun of owning an Epi is the customizing of the instrument...

Technically the only people who are going to know the difference is us guitar fiends...everyone else could care less...

Guest icantbuyafender

yeah a '66 (G310) pickguard wouldnt fit, pickups are mounted onto the guard instead of onto the body...

I would just buy the '66 reissue and have one of each. :P

Terrapin Guitars (www.terrapinguitars.com - I think) should have readilly available '66

style G-400 pickguards. I think mine was the first they produced when I sent them the

original '66 guard from mine as a pattern to make a 5-ply, (B-W-B-W-:), in a lot higher

grade material. It really improved the overall look of the guitar even though the guards

were very much alike. However- there may be a difference in the route spacings either

between the pickups themselves or the distance from the neck pup to fretboard, that

could differ between plants. I'm pretty sure that my '66 was one of the first series and

is Korean; and I think all of the recent ones are Chineese which could pose a small problem

if they vary in dimension even a little as the pickups must not only mount into the guard,

but also have to match up with the routes when installed into position. Give the guy at

Terrapin a call with your serial number and hopefully he can determine a perfect fit or use

your '62 guard to determine proper spacing. One other thing you can try is finding one

on EBAY, (rare but it happens), or simply order a G-400 '66 replacement guard. Gibson

customer service can supply you with the part number after which you'll have to order

said number through a recognised distributor. By now this is probably doable but some-

times the specialty parts, (like say an Iommi TRC), won't be available but since this issue

is hardly a special item anymore I think you could get it through an Epi distributor. The

main problem is finding a shop that will do it for you... the part # search is a phone call

away (24/7), and that'll tell you real quick whether or not you're gonna have to have one

built. Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it worked out.....

Wedgie

Thanks for all the info...Going the 66 route I can get rid of my pup rings which is in the way for me when I thumbpick on the 61 SG model (The front pup is somewhat in the way)...My guitar was made at the unsung plant in 2002...one way or the other I want to get this done and a good time to do it will be when my GFS Mean P-90's come in...!

Archived