Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Custom 30, The Verdict

Well, after a couple of weeks of wringing this thing out, bone stock, I believe I am going to like it. Played a gig last week and paired it with a 2x12 and was pleased (Palomino 2x12 with Celestion 70/80s). I like the 15 watt setting better so I added the other cab. I'm still trying to learn the EQ, although it's getting better.

I have determined that running pedals is just easiest for dirt. There's no way to get the EQ to agree on both channels. It plays well with both the Fulltone OCD and Robin Trower signature OD. For kicks and giggles I ran a Boss MT-2 through it and even the MT-2 sounded decent, which takes some work.

So far so good stock. I think I'll throw in some NOS preamp tubes I have around to see what happens, but I could continue to use it stock with no problems. It especially loves my FSR Ash Strat with Fralin Hot vintage pickups. Like 'buckers, too.

I think I'll keep it. O:)

How did you like the seventy/80's? I got some no-name 4x12 with those in it and have been looking for other people's opinions on it.

I like them. I like how punchy they are. Eventually I'll upgrade to Vintage 30's or something with a bit more bottom end, but all in all I think they're a good general-use speaker.

So far so good stock. I think I'll throw in some NOS preamp tubes I have around to see what happens' date=' but I could continue to use it stock with no problems.[/quote']

Unlike others, I thought the stock setup was pretty decent too. I replaced the output tubes when the amp started buzzing loudly when I flipped it on one day - no warning, no previous problems, just flipped it on and got a loud high pitch buzz. Anyway, the first replacements were a pair of Sovtek 6L6WXT+'s. The amp was no longer unusable because of the buzzing but it did have an annoying hum. Maybe they were defective. In hind sight, I probably should have tried exchanging them but the shop was pretty hard to deal with. I kind of wonder if Sovket themselves wouldn't trade me for a new pair of 6L6WXT+'s. Anyway, aside from the humming, the tubes sounded really good. I don't generally believe that changing components like tubes makes a night and day difference but I was pleased with the new Sovtek's overdrive.

However, since the low humming was loud enough to make jamming at night a problem (I had to turn the volume up enough to hear the signal over the hum), I replaced the Sovteks with a pair of JJ's when I found a local shop that had them in stock. So far so good. And no hum either!

How did you like the seventy/80's? I got some no-name 4x12 with those in it and have been looking for other people's opinions on it.

I like them. I like how punchy they are. Eventually I'll upgrade to Vintage 30's or something with a bit more bottom end' date=' but all in all I think they're a good general-use speaker.[/quote']

They are pretty good speakers. They sounded good with the Lady Lucks. I use that same cab for everything from Blues to Sludge and it handles it all pretty well. I think a lot of people get them thinking they are going to sound like whatever Celestion they like and are disappointed because they have their own sound. They are punchy. I really had to give them time to break in but, after they did, I was pleased with them.

Archived