Gibson Brands Forums

Quick - pickup help questions

wedgeSG

I never can seem to remember this measurement... when installing new humbuckers into a solidbody, (G-400), what is the ballpark starting measurement from pup to string bottom; bass and treble sides of each pickup? Also, where is the string fretted when the measurement is taken? Gonna be dropping in a 490R/498T combo really soon now and was curious as to if anybody has run this in a G-400 yet and if so what were your thoughts on the outcome. PS please mention any other mods if used with this combination.

Wedgie

Guest icantbuyafender

I use open coil 490R and 498T in my G400. They really are the epitome of SG tone. More rich and articulate than the stock ones, although the G400 body takes the stock pups very well. CTS pots and orange drop caps (.047uf on neck / .022uf on bridge) were in before I dropped the in the gibbies. the pups will make you super happy. Even happier if you've upgradeed your pots and wiring. I went switchcraft on the jack and switch and went with my fave allparts graphite nut. (item BN 0833 00 I believe)

standard upgrades... the pickups do enough on their own. friggin amazing. I dropped a pair into my white wilshire and have not ceased to be pleased. I just recently redid the wilshires wiring and pots. it helped it , but its the pickups that really turned both my G400 and wilshire into rockin' beasts. you will be nothing short of amazed, friend. sorry I don't know the measurements you needed. I just ball park it.....

Archived