Gibson Brands Forums

old B-25

guitarguy

My grandfather passed away about 15 years ago and I while I was helping my grandmother clean out the old house I found his old B-25. She told me I could have it if I wanted it (Thanks, Granny!). It is in pristine condition, in fact, it still has the sticker on the back of the body from Collins Music in Port Lavaca, Tx. where it was bought. Is there somewhere where I can look up the serial number to find the exact age of the instrument? I'm just curious, I know that the B series was discontinued in 1977 but I'm wondering exactly how old it is. Thanks.

Steve

That happens a lot nowadays. Grandfathers pass away and their grandchildren are given an old Gibson when they clean the house. Amazing how frequently people post on this forum with that exact story.

The B25 started in 1962 or so. There is no reliable website. People wil steer you to one or two but Gibson serial numbers aren't that easy to translate. There are other variables to consider in addition to the serial number alone, so if you want to post some photos on here, we will gladly take our educated guesses. You will not get the exact date it was made; consider yourself lucky if you can narrow it down to one year. Gibsons made after 1977 are a whole different scenario but that won't apply on your B25.

Archived