Gibson Brands Forums

New Member Jeff Skunk Baxter acous-elec

jsiggy

Hi gang:

Just joined. I have a fabulous Jeff Baxter a/e. Delta Airlines broke off the neck and I fixed it with Gorilla Glue 3 years ago. Then a waitress knocked it to the floor. But it still keeps playing - fantastic sound - full depth. Now I have some electronics problems. I have the Shadow Epiphonic Six EQ with piezo pickup. I had to replace the jack plate and my troubles started there. Gibson sent me a free jack plate (1/4" and XLR) but wiring to the Epiphonic Six was my own chore. (The new jack plate had a connector while the wiring to the old plate was hard wired). Now it works great with most amps but no sound with a new Line 6 amp. I think I screwed up the ground?? It's the strangest case I've ever seen. When I plug in direct to the Line 6 - Nothing. When I put a Boss pedal between the guitar and amp - great sound??? Ever hear of this????

John

jsiggy

Hi John, welcome to the forum. I'd need to see your wiring or a diagram to be sure, but it sounds to me like you have the hot and ground reversed. On some amps it would just put your pickup signal out of phase, which you might not notice. On others - no sound, as you have found. Either way it need to be repaired and should sound much better when corrected.

Cheers, Brian

Archived