Gibson Brands Forums

Quick and easy performance boost for LP Special II

endiment

This may work with any guitar, not sure because I've only tried it on mine which is a Les Paul Special II.

I had been looking into new pickups and was thinking of modifying some single coils to mount in a humbucker slot. In order to make sure they would fit I removed the mount for the bridge pickup of my guitar completely. Once I had it off, however, I had no idea how to get it back on. After fooling with it for about 20 or 30 minutes I managed to remount the pickup. After tightening and retuning the strings I plugged my guitar in and started playing only to discover my bridge pickup was significantly brighter, louder, clearer, and overall much better sounding. Even though I'm playing on a low-end model through the low end amp that came packaged with it, the sound was akin to a Gibson SG going through a marshall. I realized I'd screwed in the pickup mount backwards so that the pickup was not slanted parallel with the strings.

Long story short, turning the pickup mount around to change the distance from the pickup to the string, as well as the angle that the two form drastically improved the sound of my bridge pickup. I haven't tried it with the neck pickup yet. So if you're looking for a completely free way to get a fuller, cleaner, and heavier tone from your guitar you should try it.

Long story short' date=' turning the pickup mount around to change the distance from the pickup to the string, as well as the angle that the two form drastically improved the sound of my bridge pickup. I haven't tried it with the neck pickup yet. So if you're looking for a completely free way to get a fuller, cleaner, and heavier tone from your guitar you should try it.[/quote']

First, let me welcome you to the forum. Hi!:-

Do you know about the pickup adjusting screws on each side of the pup?

It's a hell-of-a-lot easier to turn these two screws to adjust your distance from string to pup than what you are suggesting.

You should try it.

I tried just tightening the screws without remounting the pickup on the neck just now. It did have a fairly similar effect, I still think changing the direction of the slant contributed but I can't say for sure. I'd have to remount the bridge again to try it.

Archived