Gibson Brands Forums

Specifications for 09 Dot

jrc127

Brought home a ne Cherry Dot yesterday; my first Epi (well not really, I still have a 1980 era Epi/Norlin acoustic, but let's not count that thing). I'm really impressed with the quality, finish, setup,etc. The intonation was off just a wee bit, but took care of that quickly.

I was wondering what pickups are in this gitbox. I play a strat and am familiar with most of the variations of single coils, but since this is my first humbucker I was wondering what my options are if I ever decide to change them out. They sound pretty good so far.....

Thanks

jrc

Welcome to the forum!

I THINK that should have '57 Classics in it. Some one correct me if I'm wrong!

Just about any of the aftermarket or Gibson pups should fit! But remember, the stock pups have metric screws, so if you get USA pups be sure to get mounting screws!

Let's see some pics!

Brought home a ne Cherry Dot yesterday; my first Epi (well not really' date=' I still have a 1980 era Epi/Norlin acoustic, but let's not count that thing). I'm really impressed with the quality, finish, setup,etc. The intonation was off just a wee bit, but took care of that quickly.

I was wondering what pickups are in this gitbox. I play a strat and am familiar with most of the variations of single coils, but since this is my first humbucker I was wondering what my options are if I ever decide to change them out. They sound pretty good so far.....

Thanks

jrc[/quote']

Hi, and welcome. I bought an '09 Dot and the pickups are the Epi 57 "classics". The neck is a 57CH and the bridge a 57HOTCH.

Basically as gearhead says. I measured the neck pup at about 8.2 kOhms and the bridge at 9.0 kOohms. The trick is to set the pickup height correctly as per the usual recommendation, then adjust up or down to taste.

You should then test the volume by turning both pups to 10, have tones at 5, amp on 5 for the EQ (bass/treble/middle). In a perfect world the bridge pup should be slightly louder than the neck pup - but it's all a matter of taste.

They aren't bad pups. I suggest you give them a fair go before jumping on the pickup swapping bandwagon. There are heaps of choices if you must swap them out.

Good luck with your first humbucker axe.

Thanks for the info. I'll post pictures when I can. I really like my Strat, but the Dot is a real blues machine and I've been trying my hand at some jazz licks so the Epi really does the trick. javascript:insertsmiley('[biggrin]%20','/images/emoticons/msp_biggrin.gif')

The setup is good but I haven't measured anything so I will definitely check the pick up height.

Great article. My strat has staggered pole pups and I always wondered if the slot in the top of the poles in hbks was for adjusting the pole heights. From the article I take it they are. But it seems that the volume is pretty balance the way they are set now....

Great article. My strat has staggered pole pups and I always wondered if the slot in the top of the poles in hbks was for adjusting the pole heights. From the article I take it they are. But it seems that the volume is pretty balance the way they are set now....

Yep, screws to adjust individual heights of the pole pieces. But I'd try moving the whole pup up or down in the mount before I started on each screw.

Archived