Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ200CE Performance problems!!

GazOwen

Hi all, I'm new to the site and really need some advice. I have the above acoustic but at a recent gig it sounded awful. It led me to ask myself about my pickup setup. It's the Esonic2 nanomag/nanoflex pickup, from what I've read it sounds like a great pickup. If I'm honest I don't know it's best setup. Has anyone had any experience with this acoustic performing? What pickup settings do you use? I used the following recently:-

Epiphone EJ200CE (Earthwood 10 guage strings, 1/4" Jacks, using the stereo/nanoflex/mono/both pickups output)

Vocal Mic (XLR)

Yamaha Keyboard (1/4" Jacks)

(Into)

Powered Soundlab 6 Channel mixer with FX (set to small room)(See below link for pic)

(Into)

Akai E2 Headrush Looping Pedal (1/4" jacks)

(Into)

4 Channel Powered Mixer

(Into)

Soundlab passive speakers (150w)

Pickup was set:-

mag/eq - full to the right

flex/eq - full to the right

volume - full to the right

slider - blend

phase button - not pressed down

Would I be best to man-up and use thicker strings? (12 guage?) to give a richer sound. I hear other performers and get really jealous of the sound they achieve. The earthwoods I used recently were a last minute rush really. I usually use Gibson 10s

What am I doing wrong?

Any advice is really appreciated. I just want to get the best out of what I have

Frustrated,

Wales

PS I dont have any other issues with my setup (feedback, buzzing ect) just a sh*t acoustic sound (Which is probably me) LOL

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ksmusic.co.uk/100_0205.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ksmusic.co.uk/PA.htm&h=1358&w=1522&sz=615&tbnid=tVkdyJAMYgVbmM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=150&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsoundlab%2Bmixer&hl=en&usg=__zdTKD8xlZP7U53lQXL5xYWOdCqw=&ei=kkCUS7OeNaj00gSLt7noDA&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=8&ct=image&ved=0CCEQ9QEwBw

I would also go for 12s. Thick enough to give good sound but not too hard on the guitar or fingers!

As for the pickup, experiment with it. Take a bit of time trying different settings of each part and different blends. Might take a while but should be worth the effort. The more copmlicated the system, the more you have to do to find your sound!

Good luck with it and enjoy playing around

Matt

Thanks fellas really appreciate the advice, I do need to find the time to find my sound and I will definately get hold of some 12 guage strings. Think I may try adjusting the action too!!

Thanks again

Gareth

I can't really say much about that particular pickup as I seem to have an older Shadow pickup on mine.

Anyway, I did have a problem with the pickup and I had to have that fixed but more importantly, maybe you need .12 strings. I also find that on mine, I use.10 strings, I need to set the master tone and volume knobs on my Line 6 x3 Live pedal very high.

And then, I still need to play around with my speakers to try to get a louder sound.

And because it is connected to the PC, also have to give it a touch on the sound card.

My only problem is that .12 strings are hard for me to play, but the sound is way better and louder [blush]

Archived