Gibson Brands Forums

NEW OLD LES HAS ME STOKED

jomuskie

Ok , I am looking for a lot of feedback. I just stumbled across a 90's les paul standard and want some help. I have no desire to be preformer ( at this point) and am just relearning basic cords and some blues scales. I have a cheap yamaha 5w amp. I am looking for a step up from that and am looking for suggestions. It will be just for fun but what i have now is not good. Money is a big issue for me now. So looking for a step up but not a jump.( anyone know about a fender 30) Also wondering if pots and pickups are needed or if i should save that for latter. I love electric blues( susan tedeschi, stevie, jonny ;lang, william topley) and hope to play that but also i have no acustic so i dont want it to be overpowering. so who wants to help? i like to putz and am not afraid to dive into electronics, also for now I am a realtor and a broker and am happy to help anyone with simple advise on those issues happy to help,cant wait!!! thanks in advance

:-({|=

Welcome here.

Your looking to upgrade your amp is the basic question.

What is your budget, roughly.

Whereabouts in Minnesota? Check the Craigslist offerings, you might pick up a fender solid state for under 50 bucks.

You like blues, and would prefer a tube amp, there are some of those there too.

Redirect your mod question in the amp section, lots of experience there to help with that alternative.

Ok i didnt do a good job of seperating the two. I am in northern minnesota . The amp I am looking for is a seperat issue that the pots and pickups on the guitar. I found a fender Champion 30 DSP up here for around 125 id that a good deal?

Ok i didnt do a good job of seperating the two. I am in northern minnesota . The amp I am looking for is a seperat issue that the pots and pickups on the guitar. I found a fender Champion 30 DSP up here for around 125 id that a good deal?

Here's a couple of links that might prove useful. The first is a link to user reviews of the amp on Harmony Central. The second is to the Fender Forum on current amps. You can do a search for posts on the Champion.

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Fender/Champion+30+DSP+Combo/10/1

http://www.fender.com/community/forums/viewforum.php?f=13

Doug -

:-

This may come across as "put down", I really don't mean it that way....

It has been said, and it bears repeating, a garbage guitar will sound great through a good amp, and an awesome guitar can sound like crap through a crap amp.

Before you go upgrading and modding your LP standard... check it out in a store with a variety of amps, and re-assure YOURSELF that the electronics need work.

Play around with the volumn and tone knobs, too many play them cranked up all the way.

Duluth isn't that far away, and there are plenty of stores there to qualm your concerns.

The price on the Fender 30 DSP is fair, but check it out first.

just my 2 cents worth....

Archived