Gibson Brands Forums

EJ200CE serial # question

BKitten

Saw a Japanese EJ200CE in a shop (or something that looks the same - Jumbo body acoustic with identical appearance and a Fishman, not the eSonic2 they use now). Bought it, it's on layby and still at the store so I can't provide pics unfortunately. I will when I can rustle up the money to pay it off though.

Not brand new, just very good secondhand condition, not a single scratch on it. Was advertised as Japanese. Stamped "limited edition" on back of headstock. Serial number I don't have but I remember starts with an R. Wouldn't this mean Peerless plant in Korea? Has the store made a mistake or is it a Japanese one? Anyone with serial # knowledge of Epi acoustics or knowledge of this model able to clarify?

Don't really care either way as wherever it was made the thing is brilliant. I've been looking for a good quality acoustic for years and this thing finally stopped my procrastinating...

Epiphone factory guide.

KOREA: I= Saein, U=Unsung, S=Samick, P or R=Peerless

CHINA: DW=DeaWon, EA=Gibson/QingDao, EE=Gibson/QingDao, MC=Muse, SJ=SaeJung, Z=ZaozhuangSaehan, BW=China

JAPAN: No letter or F=FujiGen,J or T=Terada

INDONESIA: SI=Samick

So I guess they have made a mistake, make sure they don't overprice it, Japanese models fetch a bit more that the Korean ones.

Epiphone factory guide.

KOREA: I= Saein' date=' U=Unsung, S=Samick, P or R=Peerless

CHINA: DW=DeaWon, EA=Gibson/QingDao, EE=Gibson/QingDao, MC=Muse, SJ=SaeJung, Z=ZaozhuangSaehan, BW=China

JAPAN: No letter or F=FujiGen,J or T=Terada

INDONESIA: SI=Samick

So I guess they have made a mistake, make sure they don't overprice it, Japanese models fetch a bit more that the Korean ones.

[/quote']

I've just received as a gift a gently used EJ 200 thats a june '04 model with an SM factory code.........I looked it up & one source has that listed as Saein Musical (Instruments) in Korea.

It's absolutely top quality in every respect........i'm fixing to post some pics of it here in an hour or 2.

It wasn't wildly expensive, $1000 which is actually not a bad buy for a good quality acoustic in Australia (about the same price I paid for my Korean Wildkat). Thanks for the info, your'e basically working on the same info I had but I wondered if the factory codes differed for acoustics at all. Let me know if any more info surfaces.

• 2 weeks later...

Had another look at it it's definitely Korean from Peerless plant. Serial has an R and a K in it. Oh well.

On the plus side, I get a free hard case with it! So even if I paid a little more it's all good. Photos will come once I pay it off.

Archived