Gibson Brands Forums

'56 Goldtop with Vibramate and B7

BillyGibson

Thanks Sjael - I noticed last year the bushings didn't sit all the way down, so I tapped them in a little more. Well, I hit the treble side too much and got a 1/4"

line/crack in the poly finish. Even though it wasn't too big, it bugged my. I started thinking about ways to fix it. However, you can't realy fix

poly. Then I was in Home Depot one morning walking down the nut and bolt aisle and saw these little mirror rossettes in the specialty drawers.

I told the sales person what I was doing and he helped me out by getting a uni-bit (not a regular drill bit) and bored a hole a little bigger than the

diameter of the M8 bolt in the rosettes. I had to buy the bit, because he opened it to do the job ($17). He duct taped them to a 2x4 to hold them still.

There's a tiny hole in the middle already, so he had a pilot hole to get started. The uni-bit just enlarged it. Where as, a regular drill bit would have

shredded the rosette. I wouldn't have known that, so I'm glad he was there to help.

Then I brought the rosettes home and ground down the insides with my dremmel to make them flat underneath - not too much though, because it's

delicate metal. Then I put some super glue on them and positioned them on the bushings. The studs go through them perfectly and the height is still

100% adjustible, so you can still have low action.

Total cost to fix my mistake was less than $20 and who would have thought that Home Depot could do luthier work. The rosettes come in gold too. I was

actually thinking about doing this to my Dot Deluxe before I traded it.

Thanks Sjael - I noticed last year the bushings didn't sit all the way down' date=' so I tapped them in a little more. Well, I hit the treble side too much and got a 1/4"

line/crack in the poly finish. Even though it wasn't too big, it bugged my. I started thinking about ways to fix it. However, you can't realy fix

poly. Then I was in Home Depot one morning walking down the nut and bolt aisle and saw these little mirror rossettes in the specialty drawers.

I told the sales person what I was doing and he helped me out by getting a uni-bit (not a regular drill bit) and bored a hole a little bigger than the

diameter of the M8 bolt in the rosettes. I had to buy the bit, because he opened it to do the job ($17). He duct taped them to a 2x4 to hold them still.

There's a tiny hole in the middle already, so he had a pilot hole to get started. The uni-bit just enlarged it. Where as, a regular drill bit would have

shredded the rosette. I wouldn't have known that, so I'm glad he was there to help.

Then I brought the rosettes home and ground down the insides with my dremmel to make them flat underneath - not too much though, because it's

delicate metal. Then I put some super glue on them and positioned them on the bushings. The studs go through them perfectly and the height is still

100% adjustible, so you can still have low action.

Total cost to fix my mistake was less than $20 and who would have thought that Home Depot could do luthier work. The rosettes come in gold too. I was

actually thinking about doing this to my Dot Deluxe before I traded it.

[/quote']

See, there you go Bill, you had to ruin it by admitting to the little faux pas which caused the rosette install! Next time, leave off the honesty/humility part, and just brag about how cool and artistic you thought it would look!

Archived