Gibson Brands Forums

Chickened out!!!....UPDATE!!!!

John1281734170

Dangit.......I went to replace my neck p/u on my Dot with a Mean 90. I finally found some time. Well, I removed the stock p/u and there was no slack at all in the wires. I removed the bridge p/u and I could get to the wires there. Should I cut them right at the p/u and pull them through, and make connections there by the bridge p/u? That would leave only about 1/2 inch at the old p/u. Also, the instructions say to connect the white to hot, and the other two to ground. Someone please give me a brief summary on what to do. I replaced a tele p/u once. That was a piece of cake. thanks.

Dangit.......I went to replace my neck p/u on my Dot with a Mean 90. I finally found some time. Well' date=' I removed the stock p/u and there was no slack at all in the wires.

I removed the bridge p/u and I could get to the wires there. Should I cut them right at the p/u and pull them through, and make connections there by the bridge p/u? That would leave only about 1/2 inch at the old p/u.

Also, the instructions say to connect the white to hot, and the other two to ground. Someone please give me a brief summary on what to do. I replaced a tele p/u once. That was a piece of cake. thanks.[/quote']

1/2 inch is enough wire left on to graft some new wire to that and use shrink tubing to cover the added

length of shielded wire..or..you could try and find as much wire as you can from the neck p_up

maybe around the bridge p_up access hole, cut it there , if you don't want to touch the controls.

Mean 90 is a SC. I don't understand what you are saying about the "other two"?

It has a red' date=' a white, and a ground (no insulation)[/quote']

White= hot (goes to vol control or tjhe hot wire on the epiphone p_up)

red= gnd (connected to shield inside p_up casing) This is a convienent way

of hooking up the Mean 90 to delicate solder tabs (like on a push pull or

a 3 way or 5 way switch) In this case the shield doesn't have to be

connected but just cover the white and black small wires. Hope this

makes sense.

shield = gnd

both gnds should be connected to the shield portion of the existing epiphone

p_up wire if you are just splicing onto the existing wire

Archived