Gibson Brands Forums

Tired of waiting for Mean 90, SD bridge pup in neck!

stumblinman

Hey guys, a week or so ago I mentioned I picked up a Gibson Dirty Fingers and a SD SH-14 Custom 5 bridge together for 85 bucks. Was going to A/B them with Mean 90 I ordered in neck and see which was a keeper for my Faded G-400. Well, since Mean 90 isn't here yet and I can't stand the pups sitting there all lonely, I decided to throw them in. DF in Bridge and SH-14 in neck.

I have to say wow, what a combo. I am not a fan of humbucker neck pickups, but now I think it's because I never had a quality one before. That Custom 5 is a keeper. The DF is a little treble-heavy, but it's name is so fitting. It's nasty! Hot and grindy. The SH-14 is smooth and articulate, but with bite as well. The mix of the two in the middle position is slightly compressed but crisp. Overdriven/distorted all three positions are great. Bridge is rock/punk mayhem, neck is smooth 80's style tone, and middle is good for either. I can't say enough about either of these pups. Sorry, I had to gush to someone lol, I'm excited. First time putting a bridge in the neck too, and I'm amazed how well balanced it sounds. Have a great day!

I believe they are, although when I looked inside my wiring cavity there's a wiring harness in there that doesn't seem stock. They ring out at the right ohms for stock, so I'm not positive.

I'll assume yes. I bought it used, so I can't swear to it.

Archived