Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Les Paul LEFTY Bridge and Stop Tailpiece Questions

RP9

Subject is a 1993 MIK Epiphone Les Paul LP100 that is being refurbished. All the hardware is being upgraded and switched from chrome to gold. However, finding information on the bridge and stop tailpiece for lefty LP style guitars is pretty much non-existent. (I did see where a lefty bridge was mentioned earlier on these forums - which sort of leads me to my assumption below.)

At this point I am assuming it may be possible to take a right-handed bridge, turn it, swap and adjust the saddles to accommodate lefty intonation - but I would rather ask first before trying this. Anyone have any input on whether or not this will work? For instance, if I remove the D and G saddles, A and B saddles, and both E saddles, replacing each with the other, will everything fit back together (and function) properly?

A more pressing question is the stop tailpiece: will a right-handed stop tailpiece require modifications to work on a lefty guitar, or are spacings/openings universal and capable of retaining the proper balance, etc. if used in reverse?

Any input from the community on these matters would be greatly appreciated; both by me, and likely countless other left-handed guitarists surely to run into these same issues in the future.

RP9

Musikron, it is un-befitting for a Rock Star to LOL. But I am rolling with you on this and betting from a fair attempt at research that your reply just made you one on the lefty ('MY') side of the fence!

Thank you.

[biggrin]

RP9

Nope not a lefty, just a luthier that does this all day, so I deal with more than my fair share of the lefty problems. Lucky for you this is one you can dodge.

p.s. Don't let anyone sell you left handed pickups or strings either.[biggrin]

I'd wholeheartedly agree with Musikron. When I had an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, the bridge was damaged when changing strings and I simply replaced it with a right-handed bridge from my mate's old Special Two and it worked fine. Get in.

As for left-handed strings, that's a hilarious idea.[biggrin] I might market them.

Nope not a lefty' date=' just a luthier that does this all day, so I deal with more than my fair share of the lefty problems. Lucky for you this is one you can dodge.

p.s. Don't let anyone sell you left handed pickups or strings either.[blink

But remember, you have to have the lefty tuners or you'll be cranking backward every time you try to tune it! [biggrin]

Don't let anyone sell you left handed pickups or strings either.:-$

Dang, so you're saying I got ripped off paying double the normal price for my lefty strings....

but they came in the box starting with the low "E" in front then the "A", etc as opposed to right handed strings that are boxed high "E" up front then "B", etc.....

Boy do I feel foolish!!!!

Lol' date=' there is no left handed TOM and stop bar, they are completely adjustable and thus interchangeable between left and right hand set ups. Its trem bridges mainly that are righty lefty.[/quote']

Since the bridges are normally mounted at a slight angle (scale length is longer to shorter going from from low E to high E), would the saddles have enough travel to compensate if the guitar is strung as a lefty? I would think not. Otherwise, why would bridges be situated that way?

Since the bridges are normally mounted at a slight angle (scale length is longer to shorter going from from low E to high E)' date=' would the saddles have enough travel to compensate if the guitar is strung as a lefty? I would think not. Otherwise, why would bridges be situated that way?[/quote']

Come on, think about it!! LOL You know the answer to this one..

The saddles have the same amount of travel no matter which way you turn the bridge.

Of course they do. But again' date=' what about the [i']slant[/i] of the bridge? The posts aren't the same distance from the nut. Just like an acoustic's saddle, the slant of the bridge assembly needs to be addressed in order to have precise intonation if the guitar is strung left-handed. My LOL this time.

To the OP: While the guitar would be "playable" with the bridge oriented for right hand play, the intonation won't be able to be adjusted as accurately as it would normally be, and play in the upper frets may be way out of tune. For the conversion to be complete (ignoring the cutaway and controls), the bridge posts would have to be accurately relocated.

I think you mis understood. He was asking if a standard TOM bridge would work on a left handed guitar. It will cause its the same bridge, just on a lefty guitar, so it would be properly slanted due to the position of the bushings.

But you are right, just stringing a Les Paul backwards would most likely result in improper intonation.

I think you mis understood. He was asking if a standard TOM bridge would work on a left handed guitar. .

I misunderstood nothing; I think your focus was too narrow, and you are being way too literal, instead of answering the true gist of the question.

But, ahrukidding, this was never about stringing a righty Les Paul as a lefty - that would be a silly proposition anyway, eh?

It was about whether the Bridge and TP from one would work on the other. The slant of the bridge would be correct.

I think Musikron did get the gist and answered correctly.

Peace Be With You.

Archived